VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the largest problem with Paxil is that it is one of the strongest of the anti-depressants. It isn't meant to be given to a bored housewife whose kids don't respect her and her husband is cheating on her. Sadly, doctors give it to people like this, instead of directing them to someone who can help them.

Paxil has its place in modern medicine. There are mentally ill people whose lives have been made better by drugs such as Paxil. However, it should not be give out like candy.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
While I acknowledge that depression is a medical condition possibly caused by a lack of serotonin, I think that for many people it's a quick fix rather than making some big and potentially scary changes in their lives. I also think that people who take antidepressants should receive some psychologically counselling so eventually they can get off the medication.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I completely agree 100%.

I know a number of people who have taken/are taking anti-depressants. All have the same behaviour. It's amazing. They all have lives that aren't the way they want them. They all eat improperly and do not have active lives. They don't try to fix the problems in their lives. They take the anti-depressants and it helps them a bit. Some, it doesn't help at all. But they keep taking it because they're depressed.

Here's a newsflash. Take the pills, if you must. But, why not work on your life? Eat better, exercise, volunteer to help someone else less fortunate then you. Get out of the house. Replace the bad behaviour with good behaviour. Learn to live in the world in which you were born in, not the one you complain it isn't.

My mother, who is both a chronic depressive and a maniac depressive, was not born that way. Even she will admit her childhood, the little that we know of was hell on earth, caused her to turn out like she has. She's tried medications, but they don't fix the reason she's the way she is. Admitting what happened to her and admitting she was wrong for how she acted afterwards magically fixed a number of problems. Sure, she is scarred for the remainder of her life, but she is living a more fulfilled life then before. Pills did not bring that. Learning to live brought that.

There are people with serious mental illness that need these medications developed to help them. In fact, I'll even go so far as to say there are people who do not have as serious problems, but need the medications to help them get help. But the medications are not the help. They are a hand up, to help you learn to live.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I was put on Paxil when I was 12 or so. They started me on a minimal dose, but it didn't effect me. They kept upping the dosage, but it did nothing. Same with Prozac. I ended up feeling even more hopeless because nothing was working. Eventually, I found that the best thing for me was getting out of my situation. Seeing things like your post, just makes me that much happier that I didn't continue on it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Krista and Lily those are some of the best responses to these meds I have ever seen. Erin I for one am so thankful that you are a survivor instead of a statistic and that you are a testimony to truth. Twelve years old? If I could hug you now I would.

The one thing that I would add, and it is rather obvious from your posts though unstated, is the way family doctors prescribe these drugs and feel as if their job is over. No help in talking through the anger or for taking responsibility for your own life, no diet and lifestyle counseling. No goal for getting off of the drug. I was not quite a "bored housewife" (actually I was quite content) but I had a number of things hit me at once that made my life feel too big for me. People I loved and felt responsible for in trouble with money and drugs, deep stress in my marriage, two best friends having nothing to do with me and because they were important members of my church being cold shouldered out of that church, a family member across the state suddenly ill and needing someone there 24/7 and being only one of two people able and willing to make the commute, all while building our home which was running over and acting troublesome to the kings of code. I told my doc that some mornings I just felt as if I was frozen in place and couldnt do the simplest of things like getting up and getting dressed. I had lost 30 lbs from poor eating and stress. He actually praised me for the weight loss and prescribed an anti depressant on my way out the door telling me he would see me next year for my pap. What? A magic pill to solve my trouble?

I had been enough of a counselor that I knew the pill was a staff to lean on along the path not the free ride to the goal. I am angry with doctors who prescribe these drugs and offer no more help then that. Maybe they have no more help to offer, I do not know. But at the very least there should be insurance help to pay for gym time, naturopathic or nutritional counseling and when you are ready, someone to talk to. How dare they give you a pill and send you on your way. I have been told that "the bored housewife" is more likely to commit suicide while on these meds then if nothing is done at all. Dealing with the soul of a person involves so much more then a prescription.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did write something about GPs giving out the drugs, but I deleted it, as I did not want to start a debate.

I've also read the statistics on stay-at-home moms and they are frightening. Depression, alcoholism, over-the-counter pill abuse, and suicide are all increased. Instead of drugging after the women of North America, let's figure out what is wrong.

Let's encourage them to take an active role in their lives. Talk to them about the importance of exercise and diet.

I've told people I know, who are on anti-depressants, ways to help them feel better and would complain that they aren't making them feel better. "More vegetables, choose lower-fat dairy and meats, and exercise." They would be shocked. "No, I have a serious illness." Fast forward a few weeks. They all ended up going to the doctor and said that exercise and diet did more for how they were feeling then the pills.

There are people out there that cannot function without medications. Let's give the medicines to them, instead of people who want a quick fix in a bottle.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's been recommended that I try paxil. I was told it is an anti-anxiety medication. I exercise and I eat right, but I still get depressed and very anxiety ridden in social situations...even with my own friends some times.

I can obviously live without it, but sometimes I wonder what it's like to not question every move I make and everything I want to say to the point of where it's 5 minutes too late to do or say anything. Does that make sense?

I've been to a psych and he didn't prescribe anything, which is probably best, but his only advice ever was to ask out the girl I'm interested in or to do what I want. Well, I already know my goals doc.... it's hard though to do anything when every bit of my being says I'm not good enough. If paxil or anything could just quiet that voice for a week I feel I could show myself either how wrong that voice is or prove it right. Either way, I'd know the truth about myself.

....rambling on......

rigmarole

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It has become so incredibly "normal" for people to be on antidepressants as opposed to taking responsibility for and showing interest in their own lives. I agree with Krista, there are so many people in need of pharmaceutical assistance that they should get it, but I don't think it is the answer for everyone.

This is going to sound bizarre, but we need to modify our behavior sometimes, like we do with animals that have separation anxiety, or aggression issues. True, some animals are beyond the beh. mods. and they are prescribed meds for help.

I can speak from personal experience on this one too. I have been to a psych for a "mid-life" crisis which was accompanied by depression (poor eating habits) and a little alcohol abuse. The "shrink" put me on a behavioral mod. program. Breathing, journaling, etc. Trying to make me take inventory of myself and figure it out, before he would prescribe meds. I would have gladly taken the meds if that's ulitmately what I needed, but what he did was give me some "tools" to help through the troubled times. I think a lot of us just need to beef up our tool boxes a little, and remember that we have the tools to use when we need them.

I digress, this thread is about Paxil...

As for paxil, it scares me. I heard about that study on the news the other night, and all I could think about was a 20-something friend I have that's on it.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

I know a number of people who have taken/are taking anti-depressants. All have the same behaviour. It's amazing. They all have lives that aren't the way they want them. They all eat improperly and do not have active lives. They don't try to fix the problems in their lives. They take the anti-depressants and it helps them a bit. Some, it doesn't help at all. But they keep taking it because they're depressed.

Here's a newsflash. Take the pills, if you must. But, why not work on your life? Eat better, exercise, volunteer to help someone else less fortunate then you. Get out of the house. Replace the bad behaviour with good behaviour. Learn to live in the world in which you were born in, not the one you complain it isn't....

There are people with serious mental illness that need these medications developed to help them. In fact, I'll even go so far as to say there are people who do not have as serious problems, but need the medications to help them get help. But the medications are not the help. They are a hand up, to help you learn to live.
Newsflash right back at ya-

Having trouble taking care of one's life, eating and sleeping poorly, etc. are depression.

It's like saying, those people with schizophrenia, well, if they just started being more realistic and stopped being so paranoid, maybe they wouldn't be so crazy. Please don't make assumptions about the mentall ill and why they are that way. Depressed people can feel incredibly guilt-ridden bc they have a harder time doing thing than others. They also buy into this idea that if they "just did" this and that they would be healthy. ANd then when they have a hard time picking themselves up by their bootstaps, they feel more depressed, more guilty, and less self-worth. We don't need even more guilt inducing messages from others. We do it all by ourselves.

Depression is a disease of the brain. It has many different causes. It can be situtation bound, life history bound, genetic. It can be insidious and hard to diagnose. It comes in many forms. It pushes the envelope one our lack of understanding of the balance between motivation from brain chemistry, vs motivation from well, "ourselves" perhaps the two are interchangable. no one really understands what makes the "self" which some of you seem to be is at fault for the depression. Not everyone is going to respond to the same treatment. Some people may have to be on pills their whole lives. That doesn't mean they are whiners who need to suck up to reality. Please don't make such sweeping statements about such a diverse group of patients.

When I do go back on meds, things change so drastically, it can be like night and day. I do not feel happy, I feel capable of making myself happy. My agency returns. My dillusions of lack of ability and pessimism melt away. And when I am on meds I feel, "I'm back". And at times I felt like I was a normal person again, able to do things with ease like others, and I can't imagine that I would let myself be so stupid as to be that way (depressed) again. I build good habits, everything is normal. So, what do I need these pills for? Stop taking them. Well, things go back to how they were before eventually.

Sorry, but I have had depression my whole life, as well as my family, and extended family. Probably genetic, don't you think? Yes, there are habits I have adopted (with help of counseling, pills, etc.) that make things better. I am much, much better. But it is impossible to weed out where the "responsibility" for the disease lies. How much of it was pills, how much counseling, and how much some elusive concept of "me". And I don't think I will ever be totally free of at the least, a counselor to watch my moods. I will always have to be careful.

I am tired of people viewing clinical mood disorders as a character flaw. I am deeply insulted that some here think that if I just did this and that I wouldn't be depressed, like it is so easy for a depressed person to do. The fact that sometimes it is harder for me to do this and that than it is for other people is what constitutes the depression itself that I have to live with. It is a catch-22. Not always an impossible catch-22 but with outside support and sometimes medicine, it can, but not always be overcome.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My previous doc suggested I try Paxil. Now that I think about it, he pushed it quite a bit.

Yes, Paxil is evil! I would never recommend anyone take it.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Wanted to add- no one should be prescribing Paxil unless they have tried other things (like lexapro) first. It is very difficult for people to get off higher doses, and they never tell the patients that.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i agree with thalia. i've never been on paxil but have tried zoloft, prozac and now lexapro. i am (in the words of my shrink) "mildly" bi-polar. before i was on ADs i could not control my moods or what i said/did during those mood swings (i recently found out my paternal grandmother was the same). i used my moods and words as weapons and did some damage (luckily none of it lasting hopefully) and when i did go on ADs.....i was able to control what i said or thought or did and it was amazing. i do occasionally fall off the meds (because as thalia said "i feel good. life is good what do i need these pills for again?") but within days i remember (so does everyone else
). i'm not saying that these are over-prescribed drugs cuz they are BUT...they are necessary for some people and should not be condemned across the board.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Paxil is evil! I was on it when I was twelve also. I was in high school and having panic attacks (which developed into agoraphobia) but after a year I threw them out the window. Literally. I hit some poor guy.

I hated the way they made feel like a zombie and I agree that it's given out too much. Some people really do need it but i think it should always go hand in hand with counseling and a goal of weening off it.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
And I also want to say that I have had bad experiences with meds, and I especially am scared of general practitioners prescribing psychiatric meds they no little about and with no regular follow-up. They are certianly a double edged sword, and still pretty crude compared to what might be available in the future. Psychopharmacology is still in its early years.

I hope that any one with a mental disorder find a good friend or relative who can be honest with them about how they are acting, so that they can know to to tell their MD, "This isn't working for me, let's try something different."

SSRI's are most widely prescribed, but I personally am pretty intolerant of them. They made me apathetic, sleepy, and I didn't even care that I was apathetic and sleepy! I wish my MD would have noticed this and switched. That's why I say, you need to get feedback from others, not just the doctor, they are not all responsive. Do your own research, talk to people on www.depressionforums.com, and ask a lot of questions. And of course, use what motivation you do have to try to eat right and exercise. I certainly agree with that. It is a powerful anti-depressant.

I want to add for anyone who knows someone who is depressed, this is a good place to read up.

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communit.../ifyouknow.asp

·
Registered
24 Posts
Paxil is good!

At least for me.

I used to have such bad anxiety (for 10 years, drug-free) that i didn't exercise because i was convinced i had heart problems (hypochondriasis) even though i don't, thought i had blood pressure problems, even though i dont, and in general was a nervous wreck. paxil helped me overcome all of that, and because of the weight gain side effects, i gained 10 lbs, then because of that, decided to become vegan, since then i've lost the 10 lbs again, and i know that even if i ever stop using paxil, i will stay vegan, because now i've discovered all of the great benefits to animals that go along with a vegan lifestyle.

Paxil is great if you've tried overcoming depression/anxiety without medication for at least a few years, but if you're just a little nervous, or just a little sad, see a shrink, and see what they say, tell them how you feel.

God bless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts