VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
disclaimer: this is a thread to write cool and fun ways to use veggie-dogs!

I made corn dogs! I'm still perfecting it, I got the recipe from chef deb at vegsource, but I did not really follow it.

I took cornmeal, mixed it half-half with white flour, then salt and baking powder/soda. I added *just enough* soymilk so it was a thick pasty like batter. I formed it around the dog, and popped it in the oven (toaster-oven really) and let it cook on 300F I think for about 25-35 mins, I can't really remember. Anyway, it tasted real good, I think I could have cooked it longer, though.

*can you tell I don't like to follow recipes or measures?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I used to be addicted to vegan beenie weenie, although I haven't made it in a long time. I just take vegan baked beans, veggie dogs and some non dairy margarine and make my Mom make it for me like she used to when I was kid. Its one of my favorite things in the world, even though everyone in the house is semi- grossed out by it.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would make a regular veggie dog on a bun and smother it in baked beans. Haven't done that in a while.

Another good way to eat a veggie dog on a bun is with sauerkraut & a sauce made out of Nayonnaise & BBQ sauce. Mmmmm. I have to eat these away from my fiancee, though, because the smell of sauerkraut literally makes him get sick.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hehehe....I love my veggie dogs with sauerkraut and mustard...Flower, my hubbie hates when I make kraut too so I rarely do.

I also love chili dogs and will put my dog on a bun with a big ladle of fantastic foods chili and topped with chopped onions....hmmm...come to think of it the hub hates when I eat these also

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I eat my veggie dogs on a warmed-up flour tortilla covered with a combo of Veganaise and French's yellow mustard, with chopped green onions, roasted red peppers or chopped sun-dried or fresh tomatoes, and fresh torn-up spinach and cilantro. Yum!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I like my vegan hot dog on a Spelt Hot Dog bun from Deb's recipes

and a vegan garlic cheese slice. sauteed onions and peppers and chili, mmmmmmmmm! Shannon/Zimma

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power

hrmm... veggie dogs?? I dunno. Seems that it's not right to eat a dog, even if it is a vegetarian...
HA you beat me to it!

shane loves his with vegan chili, vegan mayo and mustard on a hotdog bun!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mmm.... wrapped in a corn tortilla and deep fried.. You have to hold it with tongs while it's fried, but it's delish!!!!! I used to do this when I was omni... I'm glad for veggie dogs!

Oh yeah- I am the queen of unhealthy recipes.. I swear I eat healthy most of the time... No, I really do! hehe

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I like my veggie dogs either smothered with relish and onions, and I have also made the Kraut dogs. The smell does get me, but boy is it good.

·
Registered
0 Posts
guess I must be a purist. I like mine just with mustard and chopped onions, specially when Vidailia's are in season.

Does anyone here have a favorite brand of Veggie dog?

Also, how do they do on the grill?

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I really only eat my veggie dogs one way. Cold, straight out of the package!
I used to do the same with regular hotdogs when I was omni.

Smart Dogs are the only way to go.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like the Yves Good Dogs. But I am a big fan of all the Yves food, so I might not be the most unbiased source. I always boil mine, and generally just eat them with mustard. *yum* Vitamin Y!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts