VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has probably been answered on here, but I'm not coming across it....

How do you get tofu to be chewy, like when you go to a restraunt and order something with fried tofu? Do you bake it and then fry it? If so, how long?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I don't like the texture of tofu after it's been frozen...it's pretty spongy.

I buy extra firm tofu, then pat it dry, and bake it or fry it. Seems to come out more firm when baked. (About 350 for 40 - 45 minutes) And I turn it half way through...frying is quicker - about 5 - 6 minutes per side.

eta: If using a marinade, I pat it dry before using the marinade, of course. You just want to get as much water out as you can.

That will make it more firm.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I found if i press it really well, getting most water out, it is chewier and better.

i love fried tofu, but must not eat it so much! LOL

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yesterday I had some tofu this way:

Frozen then defrosted, cut into 1/2 cm slabs, and marinated in garlic, soy sauce, vegan worcestershire sauce, walnut oil and white wine, for about 10 mins.

Then gave a little squeeze to get excess marinade out, dipped in seasoned cornflour (aka cornstarch, just added some salt and pepper, cayenne pepper and some powdered vege stock), then dipped into soymilk, then dipped back into cornflour mixture.

These were then fried in a medium hot pan (sprayed iwth cooking oil beforehand) for about 15 minutes, turning once.

Delicious!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm pretty sure at the restaurants it is deep fried. But baking and then frying in a decent amount of oil would probably give you the same results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts