VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have to give it some more time but I keep trying vegan stuff and it's gross. Tofutti. Yves veggie dogs, tofu enchilada. Almond or soy yogurt, Part of me wants to say eff it. I love cheese yogurt and ice cream. I just heard there's a vegetarian restaurant 45 minutes away so I'm excited about that but idk. I did have Amy beans and rice which was yummy, the enchilada was gross though. I don't like corn tortillas.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And I'm hearing bad stuff every day about non organic fruits and veggies. Idk what to do. I don't have money to buy organic

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Keep trying!
Maybe invest in a vegan cook book and pick recipes you know you'll like? Or look through recipes you used to make when you were an omni and just veganize them. What I'm learning is that right now, in the transition phase, it's not about perfection or creativity.

Also, as far as organic foods, I've been told to only bother with organics that you eat as-is, without peeling for example. Bananas: don't bother with organic. Lettuce, strawberries: get organic. And be sure to wash everything! Or, maybe you can afford organics if they're canned or frozen, and just skip the fresh organics.

Hope this gives you some ideas

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

And I'm hearing bad stuff every day about non organic fruits and veggies. Idk what to do. I don't have money to buy organic
Then don't buy organic, and don't buy fake meat or cheese products if you don't like them.

You have many, many options as a vegetarian. Don't let anyone ever tell you you have to eat any specific food. Vegetarianism is about not eating meat, for whatever reason you choose. You don't have to eat soy dogs or organic brussel sprouts if you don't want to. Eat foods you enjoy and keep trying new ones.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
It sounds like you don't like soy, which is fine, a lot of people don't. (I love the stuff personally
)

If you loved the Amy's beans and rice my advice is to get some cook books and start experimenting with cooking and eating nutritious whole foods, no fake stuff or substitutes. The subs are there for people that like them but they totally aren't necessary, you can have a healthy and exciting diet that focuses on fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, etc.

Check out vegweb: http://vegweb.com/index.php?action=recipecategories

They have literally thousands of recipe ideas. Also, try experimenting more with 'ethnic' foods. Indian, Mexican, Thai, Japanese, etc. There are a lot of cultures that have mastered the art of making food absolutely delicious without the help of animal products or veggie dogs

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I've only had Tofutti a few times. Was really good except for the last time, and I highly suspect it had melted during shipping to the store and then was re-frozen.

I've also had veggie hot dogs that were not very good.

Sure, there's some vegan stuff that I can't stand, but there's so much that's every bit as tastey as any alternative, that I've never had the slightest urge during the past 10 years to give it up and go back to lacto-veg.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:

If you can, try to separate this idea in your mind. It has nothing to do with vegan eating. Even though I eat vegan, I don't eat organic and I don't yet see a compelling reason to do so.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:

I know I have to give it some more time but I keep trying vegan stuff and it's gross. Tofutti. Yves veggie dogs, tofu enchilada. Almond or soy yogurt, Part of me wants to say eff it. I love cheese yogurt and ice cream. I just heard there's a vegetarian restaurant 45 minutes away so I'm excited about that but idk. I did have Amy beans and rice which was yummy, the enchilada was gross though. I don't like corn tortillas.
Yeah, some of that stuff is really yucky. The good thing is, you don't have to eat any of it! Try focusing on meals that don't require special vegan substitutions for a while. What kind of foods do you like? Maybe we can give you some ideas.

Cheese is a tough one. I have learned to like some store-bought cheese substitutes (Follow Your Heart and the Galaxy Vegan slices are my favorites), but for a lot of things I either leave out the cheese or do a homemade cheesy sauce. For example, on tacos I leave off the cheese and just add extra guacamole. For mac and cheese, I really like this sauce recipe: bulk uncheese mix -- it's not exactly like cheese, but it is very tasty!

For yogurt, what brands have you tried? I like WholeSoy for fruit flavors, and Wildwood for plain, unsweetened soy yogurt. Silk soy yogurt is readily available where I am, but it's definitely lacking in the texture department. It's actually pretty easy to make soy yogurt at home, so if you really love yogurt that might be something fun to try if you have the time.

There are some really good vegan ice creams out there (although they are fairly expensive - more comparable to "gourmet" non-vegan ice cream in price), or you can get and ice cream machine and make your own.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yeah that's a good way of looking at it.

Think of it this way.

Veganism =/= raw veganism

Veganism =/= organic food

Veganism =/= soy products

Different types of vegans will insist their personal diet is what Veganism is, but it really isn't. It's just avoiding as many animal products in your life as possible. It has nothing to do with following a specific sub group of veganism.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys
where do I find hummus or chick peas?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Chickpeas would be by the other beans or possibly canned veggies. You can get them either canned or dried.

Pre-made hummus would be in the refrigerated section. Depending on your grocery store it might be by the produce or deli areas. You can also buy a dry hummus mix -- Fantastic Foods is a brand I've seen.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Chick peas should be a lot easier to find than hummus, but most supermarkets these days carry both. Check the deli for hummus, or ask for it there. Sometimes it'll be in produce depending on the chain. Chick peas are always with the other vegetables and beans. Garbanzo beans are basically the same things and work as a substitute in most recipes, IMO.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I buy bags of dried chick peas at Walmart. They are easier to deal with than other beans, 'cause they never seem to have any dirt on them and the bad looking peas stand out, so it doesn't take me long to sort through them. I soak them overnight and then boil with low flame for an hour, then after they cool down I put them in jars, including some plastic jars that go in the freezer. 1 hour does not quite fully cook them, but my trick is that they get cooked another 15 minutes when I cook them with rice. I could cook them all the way (1.5 hours, I guess) to mash them into hummus, but just not that interested in having hummus.

·
Registered
10 Posts
start cooking! i cant imagine trying to live on just processed vegan foods..... idk what i would do with out veganomicon....that book is like the bible in my house....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Garbanzo beans are basically the same things and work as a substitute in most recipes, IMO.
I thought they were different names for the same thing? Also ceci beans is another name I've seen.

I forgot to mention, you can often find them in the hispanic/ethnic aisle too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hummus is everywhere, even Walmart

I am new to this, but I would recommend the Student's Vegetarian Cookbook (Carole Raymond). Most of the recipes are super easy and practical. I've been learning that sometimes the simpler, the better.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have hardly any pre packaged items; just a few on hand if life is crazy and don't have time. I think most of them taste terrible. I've always been a lousy cook (esp. when I was omni, dealing with meat freaked me out) but when I decided to go vegan I made sure to read up to learn what my body would need and from there tried all sorts of different recipes from books and online. Some were a success, others not so much but have become a much better cook though I will never be great and accept that fact...

Some items like beans I buy dry and on Sundays will soak them all day then cook enough to keep in the fridge to use throughout the week. I also have a rice cooker which I have used not only for rice but lentils and quinoa (trial and error on how much water to use, sometimes they come out good, other times a little undercooked); it also has a steamer attachment you set on top and I will cut up broccoli or sweet potatoes to make a whole meal that I don't have to babysit. Try different spices too, they can make a meal taste so much better.

If you are looking for "ice cream" there is one I bought to celebrate my birthday a couple of months ago and it was delicious! I was in the store earlier today and walked by and almost bought it but decided to buy fresh cherries instead...

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/prod...megranate_chip

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I thought they were different names for the same thing? Also ceci beans is another name I've seen.
That's probably true. I thought they seemed really similar. I never really researched it much but going off personal experience I figured it was something like that.

I might be wrong though. For the longest time I thought "yam" and "sweet potato" were two terms for the same root but apparently they're distinct. Same with "canteloupe" and "mush melon."

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I personally think that soy is an acquired taste. I didn't care for it at first, but the more I forget what real meat tastes like, the more I actually like a hint of soy. It reminds me that I'm not eating animals.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts