VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all!!! IM BACK! ive been away. in short..life is AWESOME.

here's my question...

frozen berries. ive discovered these are waaaay easier and financially suitable at the moment..but i just bought a packet that was 'best before January 31'...i ate a whole big bowlful...and i dont know about taste because i haven't had frozen ones before so have no comparison. should i be concerned about getting sick? and more importantly..should i throw the rest of the box out
??

at first i assumed no, hence eating them in the first place. but now im rethinking.

thoughts?

xoxo

·
Registered
286 Posts
to my knowlige they should be okay. Frozen stuff, as long as kept frozen stays good a long time. that warning is probley just a thing for the store to sell by.

I realy doupt youll get sick. If i were you i would use the bag up.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. thats pretty much what i thought. i really don't want to throw them out. but im not saving anything if i wind up sick. eheh.

ill keep them then..

unless anybody pipes up and screams out "GOD NO. throw them out. the date is there for a reason. and we're talking like...a good few weeks over?! you nutcase. you stingy stingy nutcase..."

:p

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Those dates are "best by." The product won't spontaneously combust after that date, especially a frozen product.

I would recommend bringing the remainder back to the store with the receipt and exchanging it for an entirely NEW bag, that isn't expired. They'll replace it for you then you get more free :p

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
LOL! It's the question my my mom comes up with once or twice per year - and I'll always answer like rabid_child did or even naughtier: like "yes, by now it's probably poison!"

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(thanks Groovy! right back atcha!!)

i got halfway to the shops, and then decided i was being ridiculous. so i kept them. and im still eating them, several days later and am A OK! teehee.

wouldve been easy enough to buy more, but decided to challenge the used-by obsessed part of me (i throw out products the DAY they go bad. even if i wanted to use them that very day. its shameful. has to stop. )

you guys rock, by the way. but you probably knew that...

AND...lothar, i bet your mum is cool
eheh

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
My granddad was also teasing my mother. If she wanted to throw away overdue foodstuffs he would take them an tell her: "No, give it to me, I want to poison myself!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts