VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you heard of it? Are you interested in it? Are you already into it?

Quote:
Froogles: The new challenge to rampant consumerism

They call themselves the 'froogles' - and they've pledged to go without shopping for a year. Helen Brown reports on the new anti-consumerism movement

Published: 05 October 2006

Last week Laura Cousins chose to make some soap. She had all the ingredients: the drain cleaner, essential oil and rain water. "But I didn't have the sugar thermometers I needed, or a stainless steel pan, or a pair of rubber gloves."

Most of us would have remedied the deficit with a quick trip to the high street. But Cousins has made a resolution to buy nothing new for 12 months. "I placed a 'wanted' ad on freecycle for the things I needed," she explains as we drive through her home town, Bournemouth, "and I got the pan and the gloves. But nobody had a spare sugar thermometer. So I popped round to my neighbour Joyce's house. She's quite elderly and admitted that since her stroke, her jam-making days were over. But she said I could rummage through her cupboard and see what I could find. In exchange for a thermometer, I gave her some eggs from our chickens, and promised a bar of the soap. My resolution allows me to buy essentials and barter for other things I need."
Read the rest of the story here: http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle1800829.ece

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Wow, not buying food, that would be hard...

Oh, ok, buying essentials.

I guess it would depend on what one considers "essential."

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Are there two of these threads? I thought I saw one earlier where someone made a comment about gas counting.
I did a search and nothing else came up on this subject.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toilet paper is an "essential" and thus would be exempt from the consumption ban.

Methinks some people are missing the whole point of froogalism.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Nah, sounds like a yuppy thing. It'd be great though if they coupled this anti-consumerism with selling all their possessions and giving the money to the poor. People that do that, rock.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Well I didn't read the article, just the stuff you quoted.

Statements like:

"they've pledged to go without shopping for a year"

and

"Cousins has made a resolution to buy nothing new for 12 months."

made me think they weren't buying anything for a year.

Turns out, that's not true.

Quote:
* Avoid processed food. Buy locally if possible and avoid supermarkets.

* It's fine to buy basic toiletries. Extras, such as make-up, can be found in charity shops if you're prepared to rummage.

* Underwear is OK.

* You can buy lightbulbs - if you're replacing bad old bulbs with new energy- saving versions

* Pharmaceuticals and health products are allowed. But with your new cook-from-scratch lifestyle, you might ask yourself if you really need those vitamins and supplements

* Shoes - utilitarian only. The froogles point out that this is no dispensation for those Manolos.

* Everything else must be bought second-hand, shared, borrowed or bartered.
So you can buy things from your 2ndhand store, corner store, farmer's market, and Target (if it's light bulbs, underwear, drugs, and shoes).

btw - you should never ever use someone else's makeup.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Ewwww.... 2nd hand MAKE UP? blechhh... now THAT gives me the willys!

Otherwise - the whole "froogle" thing has it's merits (I hate stupid spellings for things) - heck, I lived almost exactly that way for over two years! But turning it into the next faddish lifestyle? Nah, just a phase people will grow tired of...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can understand this concept but there are some things that can lead to more harm than good. Being a nurse, I highly recommend not using someone else's makeup. I can imagine the eye infections.........not a good sight!!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hm..there's this guy here in the UK (I'm hunting for the story but no luck so far), that is going to attempt to live a brand free life for a year, which I also find interesting. I saw the story on the news one night. He realizes that he may need to buy things, but he's only going to buy bulk/nonbranded, etc.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have decided to be a flexifroogle. This is defined as: "a froogle who shops."

I'll abstain from rampant consumerism except for when I choose not to.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Are there two of these threads? I thought I saw one earlier where someone made a comment about gas counting.
I had said that at first, then went and read the article and figured gas would be considered a necessity. Plus they mentioned carpooling, so I deleted it. You're swift with those eyes, you are!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I have decided to be a flexifroogle. This is defined as: "a froogle who shops."

I'll abstain from rampant consumerism except for when I choose not to.
It's Flexigle. *scoff*

Regarding the make up thing, at first I thought "EW." but then realized it's not used stuff. It's the stuff that's donated, like discontinued, or the stuff that goes into sale bins and isn't sold.

ETA: Or maybe froogible. I like that one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.