VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember from such friend-bashing posts as Annoying Veg*ans, ans Stupid Things Omnis Say.

I'm Gnarly, and I'm here to tell you about another friend of mine, and here lame-ass opinion of veganism.

I emailed her, right, asking what she would think if I 'went' vegan. (She already knows I am vegetarian).

Her response :

"Well if you went on a vegan diet you would probably have a very short life which is okay with me if you want to make that choice. If you ask me it's pathetic really. You would get sick all the time. It's kind of like suicide but the process is a lot slower."

The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure she was perfectly serious. Sigh. I live in the land of unenlightened, I tell you.

Still.... It's pretty damn funny.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
WOW .... do some people even read any information on health .... of course not. She just said the first thing that came to mind

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnarly

The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure she was perfectly serious. Sigh. I live in the land of unenlightened, I tell you.
We chose our associations ourselves, don't we? I have gladly bid farewell to "friends" with similarly-ignorant views of vegetarianism (to say nothing of their views on veganism).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Dang... that's bad. But it's not like it was unsolicited -- you asked and she answered. Did you ask her why she thought that? What does she think of your vegetarianism?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I think it's funny that people talk about the "unhealthfulness" of the veg diet, but whenever you see a spot on tv about a heart-healthy diet practically everything they mention is vegan.

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
what exaclty were you expecting her to say? if you were expecting her to say something like "scared but supportive", then you could tell her that, say thanks but i didn't ask you to tell me if it's healthy or not, i already know the facts and already know what i have to know about it (if you do), i just wanted to know how you would feel as a friend, if you'd be supportive or whatever.. but i guess you already know that she thinks it's "pathetic".

i'd either talk about it with her or reevaluate the friendship. but beware if you want to talk about it, cause i'm not sure someone who says going vegan is pathetic and it's suicide would be too mature to have a conversation. anyway, good luck

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really know what I was expecting her to say... Not that.

Especially since, and this is the really funny thing, we have been doing a project at school for the last two months on vegetarianism, and a lot of the information we read was about veganism also... and yet she STILL has these misconceptions. Sometimes I wonder if people even TRY to learn.

Still, I don't think it's worth getting mad over - a lot of people I know have really weird ideas about veganism. Another of my friends (the one who thinks I NEED meat to be healthy) was really shocked when i told her I will go vegan.

Heehee. People are soooo.... i don't know. Lame.

My dad now calls me 'Bogan', I think because it sounds like vegan.

Ie, " Oh, you can't eat this can you, because you're a BOGAN".

It's funny.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnarly

I emailed her, right, asking what she would think if I 'went' vegan. (She already knows I am vegetarian).
I'm not sure why you were concerned with what she would think. When I went vegetarian then vegan I couldn't have cared less what anyone else thought or how it affected them.

Quote:
"If you ask me it's pathetic really. You would get sick all the time. It's kind of like suicide but the process is a lot slower."
Yeah, omnivores hardly ever get sick.

As for the suicide comment, I wouldn't know how to reply to such stupidity. And they claim beef is supposed to help with brain development.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
If her knowledge is lacking or incorrect, tell her what you know. Hopefully she's open-minded. It's people like her who motivate me to stay as healthy as I can with my diet, my fitness (vegetarian, moving toward vegan), lifting weights, etc. (Of course, that's not my only motivation.) That way, I can say "Does it *look* like I don't get enough protein?"

·
Registered
0 Posts
i think that consuming dairy is more insane then mean-eating (ha ha meant meat-eating) in an omni sort of way. ask your "friend" that if we humans are to be drinking milk into adulthood, why are we drinking cow's milk? all the lactating women should be forced to give to the rest of us!
all those people disgusted by mothers breastfeeding their children past the age of 2 should think twice before having a frothy glass of pus - i mean milk. :O

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i find it easier to just not have any friends, that way when i tell my friends im vegan they dont really mind.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't ask anyone's opinions on my diet. Well, besides fellow VBers. I think by doing so w/ someone who is an omni is just digging for an argument/debate. If people ask I tell...if not, oh well. (hey, that rhymed) Anyway, don't worry about what your friend thinks. In the end, it's you, so it doesn't really matter. And if it really upsets you that she's not supportive, then don't continue a relationship w/ her. I wouldn't have anyone in my life that isn't supportive. Just me....

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jilhrt2

I don't ask anyone's opinions on my diet. Well, besides fellow VBers. I think by doing so w/ someone who is an omni is just digging for an argument/debate. If people ask I tell...if not, oh well. (hey, that rhymed) Anyway, don't worry about what your friend thinks. In the end, it's you, so it doesn't really matter. And if it really upsets you that she's not supportive, then don't continue a relationship w/ her. I wouldn't have anyone in my life that isn't supportive. Just me....
I totally agree.

But maybe before totally dumping this person as a friend, you might actually ask her where she gets her info and and give her some of her own. And bring up the things you have been reading for your project. You might also want to tell her this is something very important to you and the support of your friends is very important (sounds so sappy, I am sure you could think of a cooler way to say this
) and see how it goes. Maybe she is uncomfortable bc it's "weird" and I know how some people (especially in high school) don't want to be friends with anyone considered different or weird.

But I wouldn't call anyone who persistantly insulted your veganism a friend.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majake

i find it easier to just not have any friends, that way when i tell my friends im vegan they dont really mind.
That's a shame that you feel that way Majake. Surely it would be better to have friends, and through them knowing you they would be able to see that the vegan lifestyle is ok.

Gnarly, try not to be too hard on your friend. Like most of us are guilty of doing at times, it sounds like she's just formed her opinion based on what she's heard from others and not from her own independant research.

If you do decide to go vegan though, be prepared because it sounds like your friend might give you a hard time over it! Make sure you're armed with plenty of facts

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CharityAJO

Hm.. I think you need to show this friend up.
Go vegan, and be totally healthy, and outlive her by twenty years.
She won't know about it once she's dead, so there's no chance to gloat. So as long as when they die they know you are alive, that is all that counts.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Veganism = suicide???

I don't see where that comes from. Veganism isn't about killing yourself, it's about stopping others being killed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Loki, I couldn't agree more.

I find myself getting quite frustrated with people who judge me the instant they find out I'm vegetarian. They seem to want to argue..."Why don't you eat meat?" "Are you afraid of meat?" and my own best friend who is supportive of my being vegetarian recently tried to convince me that children must have meat to be healthy. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! When did she ever research this? Never. People are so easily corrupted by the propaganda they hear...especially if it fits conveniently into their current lifestyles.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"Veganism = suicide???"

Actually , it's a known fact (studies have shown) that the vegan diet will slowly lead to death .... might take 80 or 90 years but it will come ;-)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts