VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on what do say to my friend. Her cat has been missing for three days and she is already talking about getting a new kitten. This is not the first time one of her cats has gone missing, and she always replaces them within a short period. I always end up doing more grieving for the animal than she does. She has had MANY cats in the past and they all have gone missing and never come back. I keep telling her to give her kitty a chance to come home before she replaces it but it's hopeless and shes becomeing a cat collector. And advice on what I could say to her?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She shouldn't have a cat if she has a history of cats going missing. Obviously, something is happening to them, and she should be keeping them inside. Talk to her about that, and point out as reasonably as you can that, when you adopt an animal, you assume the responsibility for keeping it safe. In many, many cases, this means keeping cats indoors all the time (except under close supervision). She's treating these cats as though they're disposable.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
that's awful. i agree, there must be something going on for all these kitties to go missing. has she tried calling the shelters to see if he/she was picked up?

but yeah i think maybe she shouldn't get another cat if she can't keep them safe. granted it could be something that's not her fault, maybe someone in the neighbourhood has a hand in it, but it seems she's not too upset about it and that's scary. if my cat went missing i'd be a wreck.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
She should be keeping them inside, if she keeps them at all, but she doesn't sound responsible enough to be a cat's guardian.

Yeah, check the shelters, but pet theft is so common that someone in her neighborhood is probably thrilled to have a steady supply of animals to sell to medical research.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
If she brings in a new cat, the chances of her other cat returning will be less. The cat may resent having it's space invaded and decide to move. Maybe a neighbor is feeding it and it's decided it likes it there better. Though if it's been gone for three days it probably got hit by a car. Sorry.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It sounds to me like maybe after her kittens grow into adult cats, she has no use for them anymore (they're not "cute enough" for her anymore maybe?). She sure doesn't seem to go to any effort to find them. That is so sad....god only knows what's been happening to them. I hope kpickell is right and maybe they're living with neighbors who actually care about them (wishful thinking, I know).

·
Registered
878 Posts
excatly vegankittykat !!

( i know who little_soprano is talkin about)

its like o its not cute anymore so lets not bother with it anymore !

kpickell i dont think she got hit by a car im sure she was eatin by cyotes

bcuz she lives right near a forest

and around where we live if people dont bring there cats in at night it has a huge chance of being eatin !

plus my friend heard a cat die then all of a sudden daisy went missing

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Does this affect her at all emotionally (that it got hit by a car)? If not, she shouldn't be getting another cat, especially if she won't keep them inside. She's like a one-person cat-killing machine.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I can't even comprehend this. My cats are like my kids. I keep them inside. I don't trust cars and other animals and I would be a total mess if anything bad happened to them. I don't see why she wants them if she doesn't really care about them.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Meg

I can't even comprehend this. My cats are like my kids. I keep them inside. I don't trust cars and other animals and I would be a total mess if anything bad happened to them. I don't see why she wants them if she doesn't really care about them.
ya it did affect her she cried for a little bit but i dont think she was upset as a like another person wud if they lost there animal

i dont know if that made to much sence

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Meg

i think she wants them bcuz they are all cute and fuzzy and that type of thing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts