VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of an issue here between my friends and my boyfriend. He's an omni and its not an issue at all because he never questions or argues vegetarianism, unlike a few of my good friends do, so the issue isn't there. He's--by far--the sweetest and most understanding of all the people i've dated and i've never been happier than I am right now, not in recent memory at least. Problem is, when I brought two of my friends to meet him, he sort of gave off a bad first impression: he was being a little obnoxious the night they met, i'll admit that even. But my friends are convinced that he's like that all the time, and they just can't let it go and are constantly telling me that they dislike him and think I can do so much better. It's ridiculous! I'm not sure what I should do, they always talk to me about how wonderful their boys are, but i'm afraid to do this because they might have some awful retort. I'm hoping to just wait around so they can see that he is NOT terrible and wonderful and all; wait for them to come around... eventually. I'm not sure how stubborn they really are. It's not all my friends though, just these two, the rest of them are completely okay with him because he makes me really happy--don't see why these two can't just be like that too!

But, these two (theyre girls, if that makes a difference?) have always been somewhat critical of me, more critical than anyone else I talk to at least. I just feel so horrid all the time when they talk about not liking him.

Also! I've told them that they got a really horrible first impression of him, but they don't ever want to listen. Blah, i'm pretty stuck here.

·
Registered
0 Posts
They should respect that you like him, and should be happy for you, and how he makes you feel. Have you talked to them about it? (Not just that they received a bad first impression?) Try explaining to them how it makes you feel, and how he is important to you and that your friends should respect that.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
My best friend has always felt that NO ONE I date is good enough for me. I've been with current boyfriend for 4 years now, so the two of them have made their peace. I'm very careful to never talk to her about any problems my boyfriend and I are having, etc. and that helps.

Give it time and they'll get over it, though if they're being overly critical of everything you do and not just your guy then maybe you need to talk to them about that.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
You say they are critical of you in general. It sounds to me like maybe they just enjoy complaining about things and dramatizing things in general, so really I wouldn't value their opinion too highly. I'm not sure how I would handle your situation, but I do think they should try and respect that you are the one in a relationship with this guy. If he makes you happy that is what matters.

How important is it to you that they like your boyfriend? And I mean that as a genuine question, not a smart-alecky sort of question.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
its all been said, but i know how you feel. especially on the first impressions thing. the first night my best friend met my boyfriend he was having a horrible evening and wasn't as charming as he can be (wasn't that rude or anything, but definetely not what she was expecting) and he's never totally been accepted by her after that DESPITE all the loveliness that is him
teehee. i think ultimately if your friends just want you to be happy (which is why they dissaprove of boys they dont think are up to your standards, of course) then when they see that you ARE happy, they'll be more comfortable with it. of course..the age old thing about your friends knowing you best worried me at first, and i don't know if it temporarily shook you also...where you go 'oh my god. am i blind? are they right?' but after lots of thought i decided that wasn't the case. stick with him if he treats you right, your friends will come around. and by all means, talk about how wonderful he is! you shouldn't miss out on that and maybe itll even help them see what you see?

xoxo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.