VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A friend of mine recently went vegan, but she's having a very hard time starting out. She's been having headaches, constipation, stomach aches, acne breakout etc. she’s increased her water intake, but she doesn’t want to eat because she always has a stomach ache now. I’ve never had any of these issues starting out, so I’m out of things to tell her that might help. Can someone please help me out? I’ll provide more info as needed. Thanks!

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts
Hello,

A friend of mine recently went vegan, but she's having a very hard time starting out. She's been having headaches, constipation, stomach aches, acne breakout etc. she's increased her water intake, but she doesn't want to eat because she always has a stomach ache now. I've never had any of these issues starting out, so I'm out of things to tell her that might help. Can someone please help me out? I'll provide more info as needed. Thanks!
Hi Ibanex,

It might be easier if your friend starts over again, and then approaches veganism more gradually. There's no need to become vegan overnight.

Rather than becoming vegan overnight, it might be easier if she first discovers 5 or 6 veggie dishes that she really enjoys. This might take several weeks, and that's perfectly OK. Her new favorite dishes might be vegetarian versions of dishes that she already likes - pasta, burritos, lentil soups, things like that. Once she has those 5 or 6 new favorite vegetarian dishes, it will be much easier for her to say goodbye to her old meat dishes.

It's not good that she's stopped eating! If she is really unable to eat, please tell her to see her physician!

Here is a great website about becoming vegetarian - it has great information about vegan nutrition, and it has very easy meal ideas: http://www.chooseveg.com .

Reactions: Emma JC

·
Registered
292 Posts
I can only guess but my best guess is that is has something to do with her intestinal flora. There is still a lot we know know about intestianal flora but we do know that its different in vegans.
best bet is like David suggested to start over and starting going vegan in steps. maybe a 3 - 6 week progression.
Also to sort of jump start her flora with a probiotic. There are ones that just contain just one bacteria. but I would suggest she gets the one that has between 8 - 14 species.
But also maybe a doctor's appointment is the safest route. It could be something totally unrelated to her veganism.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts