VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so some of the people over at vegweb (mainly Choi) have commented time and time again on how much better fresh tofu is than the stuff I get at the grocery store. Well, last night at a local Japanese restaurant, I had fresh tofu for the first time and everyone was right...it is much better! Plus, the Japanese restaurant has a number of vegan selections, so it's another place me and the omni bf can go for dinner!

Is it weird to get this excited about tofu?

·
Banned
261 Posts
Nah, it's not that weird, besides, we already know you're nuts, muppet, and we love you for it.

The fresh tofu they put in the steamed veggies and tofu I get at the Chinese restaurant is *so* much better than the kind you buy at the grocerey store.

I'm jealous of everyone wirh an Asian market near them...we don't have one, unfortunately, as far as I know.

Cassie

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
fresh tofu is delicious. i can't even eat the brand-name chemical-tasting tofu anymore, it's just repulsive. but mmm, how do i love fresh tofu..

·
Registered
780 Posts
I hate it when I buy tofu and it's not fresh. And my experience is that at most stores it usually isn't. It doesn't have that fresh smell and sometimes it's even sour.

Fortunatly I found a couple stores where I live that have fresh tofu. One of them is a farmers market and the other is Trader Joe's.

·
Registered
0 Posts
No wonder the tofu is so much better at the Chinese restaurant! I wish I could learn to cook it at home to taste that great. I need a place that sells fresh tofu... or... I could make my own ne?

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
i really don't know anything about making tofu yourself but from what i've heard, it's very difficult to do. but good luck if you decide to try

·
Registered
142 Posts
mmmmm..., yes fresh is best.

i actually live by a place that makes fresh tofu and soymilk (which, for some reason, i don't care for) - it's like a little piece of heaven
i have to be careful though cuz i can easily eat waaayy too much of the stuff (or is that not possible??)

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
It's not that hard to make your own.

First you have to make the soy milk.

Then you mix in a coagulating agent like calcium sulfate.

Once it forms the curds you put it into a box and let it set.

That's the basic idea.

If you want to look into it more go to the link below. This is where I bought my supplies:

http://www.soymilkmaker.com/making_tofu.html

·
Registered
392 Posts
Embarassingly enough, I didn't know there was such a thing as fresh tofu until this year.
I thought it all came like vacuum-packed and slippery slimy, which is why I abhorred the stuff.

Then I found fresh tofu for the first time and I am in love!

I could eat it every day if it weren't so expensive here....

·
Registered
776 Posts
When you say fresh.....Are you not talking about fresh as in, in a cardboard box, vacuum packed in the fresh section. Do you mean like.....Fresh..very fresh?
lol

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
the fresh tofu i buy is sitting in water, along with a bunch of other chunks of tofu, in a pretty big plastic container. you choose the chunk of tofu you want and put it in a bag
so it's not already packaged or anything like that. it also doesn't stay as long (about 5 days max if i change the water everyday) as the packaged kind.

but it tastes delicious!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I used to buy fresh tofu at a local Asian market that was simply wrapped in Saran wrap, no water at all. It was very firm, and I think was made in a tofu shop in Little Saigon (is there a Vietnamese style of tofu?). It was really great.

The only caution, though, is that once I made a sort of tofu gravalax with the fresh variety. I didn't notice until I'd eaten a few slices that there were a few, very tiny pink dots on some of the slices. I got pretty ill that night. I haven't had any of the fresh stuff since, but that's because I've since moved, not through any tofu-phobia/tofobia.

Beware the pink dots!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts