VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello .

I'm new to vegetarianism and I had last night my first meal with seitan. It tasted good, but when I took the seitan out of the plastic, it smelled awfully bad!

Still, it tastes good and that's what matters ^^

Anyways, I only cooked half of it and stored the rest in the freezer. Is that a good thing to do? And, if so, do I have to be careful with something else, or can I simply have it in there and cook the remaining whenever I want?

·
Registered
196 Posts
In the Vegan Zombie's 'No-Killy-Philly' seitan recipe, Jon says that you can store seitan in the freezer for up to a month or there abouts. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the second half of your question. Do you mean do you have to cook it before you freeze it or will it contaminate something else or what? Soz, I'm a little bit dense =S.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Freezing seitan is no problem. Just putting it in the fridge it OK too (for a few weeks).

You can cook it whenever you want, however you want- or even eat it frozen if you wanted to.

It's not contaminated with the same dangerous pathogens as meat is, so there's not much risk. I wouldn't leave it outside (in a warm environment) for more than a day or two, because then it might start growing something (like mold), but as long as you keep it cool (or frozen) before you cook it you should be OK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the answers.
@vepurusg, that was exactly what I wanted to know, thank you .
@arcoftime, in the second half of my question I was asking if I could just cook the frozen seitan without having to do anything in particular to make it ready to cook.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I froze homemade seitan before and it was just slightly more chewy.
How long was it frozen for?

Maybe it got a little dehydrated, or the ice crystals did something similar to what they do to tofu.

I think tofu is almost better after it's been frozen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.