VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been eating the same few things over and over again because they are things that are easy and quick to cook/make. I usually wait until I get pretty hungry, then cook, so I want to eat something right away.<br><br><br><br>
My question is if I make big batches of things (lets say rice w/ tofu, green beans, carrots, and a sauce topping) could I then put it in containers to freeze it, then reheat later? I also plan on doing this with pastas, soups, & etc. Can anything go into the freezer, or are there exceptions? How long can things stay in the freezer for? Thanks for any help. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have you thought about investing in a food saver-type piece of equipment, the kind that vacuum seal? That might be helpful for freezing your make-ahead meals. Also, I'm not sure how good tofu freezes. Every time I've tried, the texture changes upon defrost/cooking. Maybe someone else has a good suggestion for that. I freeze soups and veggies all the time, but usually use them up within a month or two.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Pretty much any meal will freeze just fine - some things better than others, just experiment. Texture can change a it, but thats about all. Tofu that's cooked will not change in texture a whole lot...<br><br><br><br>
I freeze all sorts of meals and really always seem to have good luck.<br><br><br><br>
You don't need to invest in a meal-saver or "seal-a-meal" things if you aren't freezing things for more than 4 or 5 months. After that, most things start to lose some quality and texture anyway, regardless of how they're packaged.<br><br><br><br>
Just get some Ziploc Freezer bags (messy but cheap) or the Rubbermaid-type plastic-box containers (convenient, easy to fill and store, but a bit more expensive).<br><br><br><br>
Oh - and potatoes, eggplant and cabbage don't thaw and reheat well after freezing - you may want to stick to rice, pasta, beans, veggies (besides the above) and stuff...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Can you freeze tofu, unfreeze it (cooking!) then refreeze it?<br><br>
most foods thats a noo.<br><br>
id probably do it anyway hah.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Are you asking if you can freeze tofu, thaw it and cook it and then re-freeze? Yes.<br><br><br><br>
Done so many times.<br><br><br><br>
Though you're right, I wouldn't recommend doing that with just anything.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the help. I just bought a cookbook and I'm gonna go on a cooking and freezing spree because I have the week off. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts