VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so are there any foods that you can't freeze? When we were milk/cheese-ers, I would buy it when it was on sale and freeze it..same with bread. But, can you do this with rice milk (we don't drink soy)? And what about beans? If I buy a bag of dried, can I cook or parcook them and freeze them until I need to use them so as it not taking so long to cook? I would rather buy dried since it is cheaper, but I tend to not use them as often as canned for time constraints. Any other ideas on things I can freeze to make life simpler for myself would be great! I have a 1yo and a newborn, so I can handle a day of prep after shopping, but I don't get lots of cook time in. Hooray for fall babies in that crock pot soups will be on again. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi sararie,

I have not run across any foods yet that cannot be frozen. Some do taste better than others after freezing though. Just let your cooked or partial-cooked foods cool completely first, then put a serving sized amount in an appropriate freezer container and freeze away. And you should probably use up any frozen cooked foods within 8-12 weeks for optimum quality. Too long in the freezer and they will freezer burn, and the nutritional values will decrease.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I fully cook and freeze beans as well. No ill effects

Never freeze soymilk though, it turns a very odd creamy/yellow colour. I'm not sure if the same goes for rice milk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts