VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeli

i'm not entirely convinced that just because it's free, it is waste.

I also generally agree with Kreeli. I would say that, just because a freegan hasn't paid for an animal product does not mean that money did not get paid to animal product producers in the process. Therefore, such actions do not necessarily avoid economically supporting animal product producers (if that is indeed their intention).

For example, if Oscar Meyer is giving away free samples of hotdogs at the grocery store, either Oscar Meyer paid the meat suppliers for that meat that went into making the sample hotdogs or it owns the meat supplying entities. In the first case, clearly meat producers got paid.

In the second case, though, Oscar Meyer took a loss (at least a temporary loss). Of course, Oscar Meyer is calculating that people who sample their hotdogs will next time, go out and purchase some, so that Oscar Meyer recovers this loss. But when Freegans who never intend to purchase hotdogs eat these hotdogs, there is a permanent loss.

The issue is not quite so clear though. If for example, I go to a friends house and they offer me chicken, even if they said they would only throw it away, if I accept it, next time my friend goes to the store, she is more likely to purchase the same amount of chicken or more. Why? because freegans, nevertheless, create demand. Even though it is demand for free animal products, some people may be willing to pay for it to provide it free to a freegan.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you end up already having purchased an animal product, rather than use it, you could also return it to the manufacturer (if there is one) with a letter stating that you won't use this product for a specific reason.

Too bad you can't do this with perishables.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a friend who calls herself a freegan. She is a squatter most of the time, the rest of the time she is homeless. When she has money to buy food she eats vegan... or really whenever she has a choice in the matter she eats vegan. But there have been times when she was close to starving (not eaten for a couple of days) and did some dumpster diving.

I don't have a problem with this womon calling herself a vegan or a freegan, because she spends her life working on A/E causes and promoting veganism for free.

·
Registered
0 Posts
my sister went dumpster diving once and scored on a bunch of organic but not vegan cookies that were individually wrapped and then boxed. it was from a company in seattle whose building was partially destroyed in that last notable earthquake. i guess they had to throw out all their stuff (even though it was perfectly fine...). she also scored on some seattle frangos (sp?). i, although claiming the title vegan, did not feel too badly consuming them. i suppose she could have given them away to other people, but she brought them home. she actually did, after we all grew sick of it, hand it out in seattle.

so i dunno- I used to be so obssessed with conforming to the term vegan completely- no questions asked, until I realized that I didn't change my diet to appeal to a group of people, but to limit my negative impact on animals. neither of us have dumpster dove since and I don't know if I could honestly stomach more freeganed dairy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I used to dumpster dive a lot with my BF. We went to Bath & Body Works (they throw out all their returns and samples), Staples/ Office Depot (found a LOT of stuff there one time), and book stores (for magazines- with the covers ripped off), sporting good stores (found skis and lots of golf shoes once). I am really picky about eating food out of the dumpster, though, although we did find some hot dog and hamburger buns once that seemed fine (still in packages), so I did eat those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts