VeggieBoards banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I say thrift store. You are then helping the store (animals) and people who have less money find things they need cheap.

I'm a thrift shop shopper. When I made minimum wage and now. Our local PAWS is like the best thrift shop ever!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I vote for the Humane Society store. That said ... I do use Freecycle for things I know are not really "sellable". For example I give away old computer parts to people all the time. Some of these folks are building computers to donate to poor families and kids... so a win/ win.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Most annoying thing about freecycle so far, is Women sending the boyfriend or husband to pick up the item, and of course the guy has to size you up, so they knock on the door to either ask for directions on how to go back the same way they came from (WTF ?) or just to say they are taking the item (which is sitting out there). It's happened to me twice, and I'm glad I was bigger than both of them. So, *if* I was boinking their wife, not much they could do about it. Dumb asses.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i've only used freecycle to get rid of stuff, i haven't seen anything especially good on there that i wanted or when i did i wasn't quick enough and it was already taken.
but it was a godsend when we moved. we moved into my inlaws house, a lot of stuff we had was secondhand to begin with and we just have no space here, plus we're using the inlaws kitchen stuff etc. anything we know we will need for sure when we move out we have in storage, anything we can do without we freecycled, including a beat up old futon and a filing cabinet that we were just using as junkdrawers since we couldn't find folders that fit.
when we were packing up to move we divided stuff up in the basement, one side for stuff we were keeping one side for freecycling, and posted that we had a bunch of assorted stuff. a young couple came by to look, we gave them a couple empty boxes and they sorted through and took a ton of stuff, old movies, an old computer, some computer games, all kinds of stuff. their kids were waiting in the car, and as we were helping them carry the stuff out to the car the kids were trying to look and the mom was making them turn around and saying "no peaking" etc.
it was just before christmas, so we figured they were doing their christmas shopping in our basement. made us really sad and wish we could afford to give them some money to get real presents or something.
anyway not all of it went to people like that but we didn't care, one more thing freecycled was one less thing to pack and haul and find storage space for, plus one less thing in the landfills if we would have otherwise tossed it.

that said, if our town had a humane society thrift store i probably would have donated much of it to them instead

i also have posted stuff that nobody wanted at the time, so you could always post it on freecycle with a deadline, saying anything not claimed by a certain day will be donated to the shelter

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I say thrift store. You are then helping the store (animals) and people who have less money find things they need cheap.

I'm a thrift shop shopper. When I made minimum wage and now. Our local PAWS is like the best thrift shop ever!
I agree with Teresa. Thrift stores are awesome because (a) the proceeds go to a charity/cause, (b) you're bargain-shopping, and (c) it's quite eco-friendly because you're not contributing to the production of new goods, which involves lots of emissions and environmental toxins. And I LOOOOVE thrift stores that give their proceeds to animal shelters. You could always donate half of your items to the Humane Society Thrift Store, and half to a place like Goodwill -- that way, you're helping out humans AND non-human animals. Best of both worlds.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts