VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivoracious View Post

Hey, vegans....Do you eat free-run eggs?
If someone eats eggs, they're not vegan.

Chicks are sexed after birth. For every hen there is an unwanted male chick. They're killed in gruesome ways. Please take a look at this:
http://www.mercyforanimals.org/hatchery/

What happens to the hens when they get too old to produce adequate eggs for the farmer?

You have to look at the whole lifecycle of the animal, not just a moment in time on the farm.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
What's the name/contact info for this farm?

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Thanks.

Do you know how many animals are on this farm?

Are you asking me that edit2? That's not what I'm implying. Although I do not think it is as wonderful as you say it is, and I would like to find out more. I have never seen the use of animals for commerce in which the animals are sincerely well treated when you go a little deeper. Ultimately they're there for profit. Maybe it's a hobby farm and the money isn't important to him, in which case the animals might fare better.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivoracious View Post

It's not exactly a normal farm- like I mentioned, they also run a farm animal awareness kind of thing. They go to expos, visit classrooms... just generally try to get people to understand that animals food comes from are still animals. The whole thing is ind of a mission of understanding.
Is the awareness about promoting small farms as opposed to confinement farming?

I ask that because 99% of animal products come from factory farms, and kids especially would get a very skewed image of what animal farming is about if they thought that anything better than factory farming was the norm.

Also my experience with even small/local egg farms is that they will not keep the animals to live their natural lives when their production has waned because it just isn't a profitable business model. And the small/local farms I've seen also purchase their chicks from hatcheries/feed stores. I'd like to know more about their philosophy and how they do things there, which would be unheard-of for the commercial industry if they've done it differently. A hobby farm which does not need to produce a profit might be different. Did you say earlier that you believed that the hens and roosters all got to live out their natural lives?

1 - 4 of 5 Posts