VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand totally how we should not support factory farmed eggs, or egg producers who mistreat the hens or destroy male chicks. But what if one has their own chickens who lay unfertilized eggs? Or a friend who has chickens that really are allowed to roam and roost as they please? Would you still be opposed to eating eggs and why?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Obviously eating eggs isn't vegan.

But I would be less opposed to eating eggs from a pet chicken that I knew was well cared for. There is still a problem in what happens to the male chicks, as few people want roosters. Is the place where the chicks came from ethical, or are they throwing the male chicks into a meat grinder and producing female chicks for the egg industry? At this point, the only situation where I would really feel ok eating eggs is from a rescued/adopted chicken that was kept as a pet and well cared for.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

Or a friend who has chickens that really are allowed to roam and roost as they please?
Allow a chicken to REALLY roam and roost as it pleases then;

1. Good luck with finding the chicken.

2. Good luck with finding where the chicken hid it's eggs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You provide somewhere for them to sleep, and they generally will lay their eggs there, even if they free range. It's really not that difficult

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by affidavit View Post

You provide somewhere for them to sleep, and they generally will lay their eggs there, even if they free range. It's really not that difficult
This is why chicken farmers never clip chickens wings or build fences around their chicken farms.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

There is still a problem in what happens to the male chicks, as few people want roosters. Is the place where the chicks came from ethical, or are they throwing the male chicks into a meat grinder and producing female chicks for the egg industry?
That's the question - where did those well-treated hens come from?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

I understand totally how we should not support factory farmed eggs, or egg producers who mistreat the hens or destroy male chicks. But what if one has their own chickens who lay unfertilized eggs? Or a friend who has chickens that really are allowed to roam and roost as they please? Would you still be opposed to eating eggs and why?
I'm not personally against that.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Our MLP has rescue hens and she eats their eggs. I have no problem with that. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they're well loved and cared for.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
It's not vegan.

Can I find you an apartment, and you pass me your menstrual fluids every month so that I can package and sell it, or eat it? It's not hurting you.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
OP - most people can't get eggs from rescue hens. Would eating them give the message that people can't be vegan and really "need" eggs? And so because most people can't get those ones, but think of eggs either as a necessity or a normal staple, they will buy the factory ones? One part of veganism is the act of being vegan. The other part is the political statement that animals are not food.

Also, some sanctuaries feed the eggs back to the chickens, as their bones are depleted in calcium from being bred to overproduce eggs. As a vegan I'd probably prefer to give the eggs to the chickens or other animals who survive or thrive better with them.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

OP - most people can't get eggs from rescue hens. Would eating them give the message that people can't be vegan and really "need" eggs? And so because most people can't get those ones, but think of eggs either as a necessity or a normal staple, they will buy the factory ones? One part of veganism is the act of being vegan. The other part is the political statement that animals are not food.

Also, some sanctuaries feed the eggs back to the chickens, as their bones are depleted in calcium from being bred to overproduce eggs. As a vegan I'd probably prefer to give the eggs to the chickens or other animals who survive or thrive better with them.
Good point. Never thought of that one. I didn't even realize the chickens would eat them, but the calcium would do them a lot of good, and the rest could be put out for the forest animals, like raccoons or possums.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Farm Sanctuary hard boils them and feeds them back to the chickens. They talk about how hens have been bred to overproduce, and then...

Quote:
This dramatically increased egg production is very demanding on the birds' bodies, using up a lot of nutrients, particularly calcium, which is used to build shells. At Farm Sanctuary, shelter staff collect eggs daily, hard boil them, smash them up (shells and all), and feed them back to the hens to help restore lost nutrients, especially the calcium, which is in the shells. Lack of calcium leads to broken bones, osteoporosis and formation of shell-less eggs (which can be fatal) so it is essential for the health of the birds, especially those rescued from factory farms, to consume the eggs. And, as Susie points out, "It sounds odd to a lot of people, but it is actually not far removed from their natural behavior, as wild chickens will eat broken eggs so they don't attract predators. Chickens will also naturally eat their own eggs if they are calcium deficient."
http://farmsanctuary.typepad.com/mak...bout-eggs.html

I'm not sure what the hard boiling does. Someone who wanted to know more might write to them.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
If someone lived away from stores, had to grind wheat, grow their own veggies, really live off the land, I see no reason to not eat eggs, or hunt if necessary.
For the majority of us (obviously, since we're on the internet!), being vegan is very possible.
Free range and humanly raised are mostly tossed around to assuage guilt.
If it's not needed, and is disruptive, don't do it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

It's not vegan.

Can I find you an apartment, and you pass me your menstrual fluids every month so that I can package and sell it, or eat it? It's not hurting you.
That...is disgusting. Point taken.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

It's not vegan.

How nice is the apartment?

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:

That...is disgusting. Point taken.
But I could consent! Where can I find this apartment?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.