VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where this thread goes so feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place. Anyways, Sunday my mother and I were in our living room enjoying Lifetime movies. I noticed little black ants coming from the living room door and stopping maybe a foot past the door. The ants were piled on top of each other. My mom thought that it was a pile of hair until she kicked it with her foot. After she removed that cluster more came to the same spot. I really don't like to kill the little critters but I do not want an ant family reunion to develop in my living room. How can we both be happy and they can stay outside instead of gettin their freak on in my living room or anywhere else in my house?!

·
Registered
0 Posts
You think they were mating? Icky.

Ants are freaky, but they are way cool to watch. So organized and efficient. My son and (when we lived in SC and had ant mounds everywhere) would take pieces of food and drop them quietly outside of their mounds and watch them come out in their little lines and carry it away. We would do this for the longest time. It was so awesome (and entertaining). Also, if one gets killed, the others will come out and carry it back into the mound. Wow.

Not sure what to tell you. I would attempt to get something to put them in and try to relocate them somewhere where they can build a home. If you can identify the QUEEN and relocate her, I don't think will return (unless she does). Then, put something out that deters them. That is just me, though....a freaky gal.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Almost all ants don't mate.

Were they the same ants? Sounds like an ant-war to me!!! Either from two close colonies, OR if one species was red, they were trying to kidnap eggs from the black ant's colony to raise them as worker slaves.

You're right: ant's are soo freaky. Unfortunately I have not yet seen a kidnapping but would LOVE to one day.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Wow! A war....hadn't thought about that. Man, ants are so cool. In their own little civilized world...right under our feet. Amazing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The ants that you see crawling around on the ground all the time (The worker ants) can't mate; ALL worker ants are females.

It does sound like a war.

Anyways, to get rid of them, scoop them up in some kind of container and put them outside. Then sprinkle a line of dry peppermint or paprika at the entrance that you think the ants are entering from, they won't cross it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow Red,

I never knew that worker ants were all females. I guess they must have been having a war. I will try the pepperment or paprika trick. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I find Ants amazing and so civilised. They have a queen who lays all the eggs, the workers who are the females and then there are the males they have the ability to fly and normaly find a mate and then die. Normaly the queen is hardest to find but easily noticable as she is the biggest but nothing compared to the termite queen.

Ant Queen = 1-3 inches

Termite Queen = 11 inches

1 - 8 of 8 Posts