VeggieBoards banner

Freakishly Close to Going Omni.

4K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  ebola 
#1 ·
(Now that I have your attention.) Okay, lately I've been thinking. I'm so different than every other veg*n out there. I'm conservative where most are liberal. I'm religious where most question an "organized" faith. I'm Republican and, on another site, was told I couldn't be veg*n and vote this way. I believed veg*nism included a loving, accepting attitude towards others yet frequently don't see evidence of this. For example, I never knew so many people disliked America/Americans. It just seems like everything I've believed in so strongly for the last two and half years, I'm now questioning. Everything is spinning around in my head, out of order and it doesn't have a rhyme or reason.

Okay, post your thoughts/feelings/opinions. Just don't get too ugly 'cause I'm very sensitive.
Seriously, I'm interested in what others have to say.

Note: At this point, I'm not consuming animal products. So don't bash me. It's just I'm questioning things.

See less See more
#2 ·
Someone told you that you couldn't be vegan and conservative?!? Some people stretch the definition of vegan to include other issues but it really should be about whether or not you consume animals. The book Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy, was written by Matthew Scully, speechwriter for George W. Bush. I remember reading an article by a conservative vegetarian at the PETA website but I can't find it now.

There are people of all political persuasions here, so don't feel left out. ^_^

#3 ·
Veganchick... instead of even bothering to give any weight to what someone else says is "supposed" to be the right way... just be yourself and do whatever makes YOU happy.

Many people like to "limit" themselves to the confines of a label (such as vegan = democrat and atheist) and that's fine if it works for them. However, what others think means absolutely nothing if its not what makes you happy. There are certainly others who share similar beliefs as yourself, but perhaps are not as "loud"

Be proud to be American... most of the haters only wish they could live in a country so prosperous.

#4 ·
i really don't see the connection between veg*nism and these other things you mention. people who think that there must be some rigid definition of what it takes to be veg*n just don't understand it - veg*nism is about eliminating, or effectively, reducing the suffering/use of animals. if this is important to you, then i implore you to continue your ways and just smile to yourself when confronted with those who are less open-minded than yourself.

#5 ·
I think it's good that you question yourself and your actions. It helps you to delve deeper within yourself to discover why you do certain things; and that's certainly a good quality to have. Ask yourself why you became vegan in the first place...perhaps it will jog your original feelings on the subject and make you stronger in your beliefs. On one hand, I would tell you that you should stay vegan because it's a benefit to your health and it's just a very nice thing to do....but on the other, I can't make this decision for you and questioning yourself may lead to the right answer for you.
Good luck.

#7 ·
You can hold whatever political ideologies you wish to. My g/f said she'd vote for the Tory party. On my list, these are second to last to what I'd vote (With the BNP taking the #1 spot, obviously!!) However, she says she'd like to see Britain join the Euro. For the non-british here, the tories want to keep the pound.

Do not feel bound by the old "i vote for X so i must follow these ideologies" thing. Do what you believe is the right thing. Not what others tell you to do. Besides, i see no reason why one can't be vegetarian and vote for some party. I htink its silly that anyone would even suggest that.

Remember - If you join the Tory party, then it is your duty to eat bananas!! If you don't eat bananas, then it is hypocritical to vote for the Tories!! (If this were true, i'd also wish that bananas were as unpopular as Iain Duncan Smith is, especially since I don't lik the Tories, Iain Duncan Smith or bananas.) But I guess you get the idea. Your political preferences should not reflect the way you choose to eat. If you want to be omni, then be omni. If you want to be veg, be veg, but don't assume that you should do so just because you prefer candidate X over candidate Y.

#8 ·
veganchick,

I am on the other side of the poitical spectrum. I am very liberal and an atheist, but every vegan that I have ever met in real life is "spiritual" (It sets us apart).

It gets frustrating & annoying sometimes, but I would never stop being a vegan because of it. I think it is wrong to torture and eat animals, that is why I am a vegan, not to win friends. Although, friends would certainly be a plus.

I would never say that someone who is Republican could not be a vegan, but it is almost as confusing to me as a Catholic who supports abortion rights. (Yet, I see it as a possitive thing)

It is so nice to just "fit in" and share like opinions with a group of others, so that you know that you can express yourself without having to fight. Yet, I think arguments (if done respectfully) can change minds on both sides. I think groups where everyone thinks a like can be very dangerous.

The comment about Bush was probably written out of frustration, mostly. All we liberals have right now, is our little jokes. We need them!

If you are a strict vegetarian for health reasons, no liberal vegan should take that away from you. And if you are a vegan for ethical reasons, why would you ever let anyone make you go against your own ethics?

#9 ·
I question my veganism every day, sometimes in a small way, sometimes in a big way (I always come out on the positive side, and always will).

I sometimes pity all the omnivores going along doing what they were brought up to do without thinking anything of it. Sometimes.

#10 ·
I don't think I would really change, it's just that I've never questioned my reasons for being vegan before. For example, I really wanted some cereal this morning but there is only regular milk in the frig. (my DH is omni) and I just kept thinking of PETA's "Got Pus" campaign while I entertained the thought of using some. EW!! So needless to say I didn't have cereal.
I've enjoyed reading people's thoughts and hope more post.

#12 ·
I'm religious and (mostly) republican...can't say I pay much attention to politics though.

I've questioned my being a vegetarian before...until I had a dream not too long ago about eating chicken....eewww.

It was gross, and I remember feeling guilty and saying I'd never eat it again in my dream.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Be proud to be American... most of the haters only wish they could live in a country so prosperous.
I don't think that's true. I was born and raised and still live in America, and I'm a classified American-hater. I think the fact that you didn't realize there were so many people who dislike America and it's dictatorship says... well, nevermind.

You can be a republican vegan if you want to be.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

I don't think that's true. I was born and raised and still live in America, and I'm a classified American-hater. I think the fact that you didn't realize there were so many people who dislike America and it's dictatorship says... well, nevermind.

You can be a republican vegan if you want to be.
I'm not an American-hater, but I am saddened by the blinders that the majority of my countrymen (and women) choose to wear, and I do mean choose.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by veganchick

(Now that I have your attention.) Okay, lately I've been thinking. I'm so different than every other veg*n out there... I'm religious where most question an "organized" faith.
Well, I'm religious, too, so you're not entirely alone.

And I also feel a little different than some others here because I'm NOT into AR at all, really. I mean I *like* animals, but I'm a bit more into alleviating human suffering.

And I'm glad we're not all identical politically, religiously, and so on, because this would be an unbearably boring message board if we were.

Mskedi

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by veganchick

(Now that I have your attention.) Okay, lately I've been thinking. I'm so different than every other veg*n out there. I'm conservative where most are liberal. I'm religious where most question an "organized" faith. I'm Republican and, on another site, was told I couldn't be veg*n and vote this way. I believed veg*nism included a loving, accepting attitude towards others yet frequently don't see evidence of this. For example, I never knew so many people disliked America/Americans. It just seems like everything I've believed in so strongly for the last two and half years, I'm now questioning. Everything is spinning around in my head, out of order and it doesn't have a rhyme or reason.

Okay, post your thoughts/feelings/opinions. Just don't get too ugly 'cause I'm very sensitive.
Seriously, I'm interested in what others have to say.

Note: At this point, I'm not consuming animal products. So don't bash me. It's just I'm questioning things.
veganchick, we may be completely different ok so not completely.. we are both female, vegan and a great believers in god.. and well i could care less your political preferences.. i personally love you for who you are not who you voted for.. so no bashing from me!

#19 ·
I am religious..I believe in orgainized religion...I go to church every Sunday, I believe in doing things "decently and in order"..I am also Rebublican..I do not believe in "doing mine own thing". I am vegetarian and happy. I am on the path to becoming vegan..it takes all kinds to make the world go round. Find out where you fit and enjoy. Nothing wrong with being who you are, and vegetarian, vegan, or even Omni. I will never eat meat again though...

#21 ·
VeganChick:

From Vegan to Omni is a huge leap!

sheesh!

Look - have a mind of your own. You decide what is right for you - then you follow that path. Make up your own title for yourself and your beliefs if having a label is important.

How about VEGANCHICK-ISM ??

Hey, if your ideology is sound - I'll become a VEGANCHICK too...

(God knows I have my issues with some of the BS of Veganism)

You could be the leader of a great movement, write books, be on the lecture circuit - have your own TV Network (sorry, too much caffeine today)

#23 ·
You're a Republican?!
Say it isn't true!!!
Oh...buddadragon is too? I'd better stop speaking to you two, and to all of the others who've aired their dirty laundry (i.e., Republicanism) on this thread.
As far as religion is concerned, it strikes me that there are more believers than atheists/agnostics on this board. I don't think that veganism is the least bit incompatible with either conservative political views or religion.

As far as being kind to each other...well we veg*ns are, after all, only human,so it's only to be expected that we will occasionally be irritable, snippy, intolerant and/or downright rude. We're veg*ns, not saints (yet
).

#24 ·
"I believed veg*nism included a loving, accepting attitude towards others---"

I don't think there is such a think as veganism or vegetarianism. There are dozens of (differnet) reasons not to eat meat. Somewhere on the net there is a list of 100 reasons.... therefore veggies comes in all... flavors :-]

"For example, I never knew so many people disliked America/Americans."

I live in an European country with a Christian, conservative government - which says something about the population here. When Bush starting to attack Iraq, 90% here was against what he did, including our christian, conservative prime minister. The biggest demonstrations here have been the anti-American ones. Take a look back at see what USA have done over the last decades. To me it makes sense that being "loving/accepting" also means being against aggresive behaviour from ANY nation. Let's not get into counting dead bodies in the Vietnam war etc, but try to be.... loving/accepting towards the fact the througout most of the world, there have for a loooong time been strong critizism against USAs attempt to become "world police". In a lot of countries all over the world, polls show that a majority of people even find Bush a bigger threat to world peace than Saddam Hussein - even in the western world. Give it a thought, at least? Maybe there is something to it. I'm not really sure how possibly wanting starting to eat animals again on your side relates to that...

"It just seems like everything I've believed in so strongly for the last two and half years, I'm now questioning." Congratulations! I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't go through this process once in a while. :-]

"Seriously, I'm interested in what others have to say. " About *what*, exactly...? I hear you are confused, but wonder what the real confusion is... :-]

"At this point, I'm not consuming animal products." I don't get this, sorry :-] If *you* have your reason(s) not to eat animals, how could those change by encountering others veggies that have other reasons/other political opinions? Should I start eating non-veggie food because Hitler was veggie? I don't think you think so :)

I feel that your current confusion is the best that could happen to you - or anyone :-]

If you are looking for a thing that at least many veggies have in common, it is beng against killing. Even our enemies. Even killers. Violence leads to more violence, terrorism leads to war and war leads to terrorism. Someone have to be strong enough to break this chain of violence.

Killing enemies and murderes actually states an example for the coming generations: "killing someone is OK if the reasons are good enough". Now see what that leads to...

Looking at the TV stations that are feeding US citizens with news, it really surprises me that they so rarely focus on WHY there is so much anti-Americanism around - in every country but America. They don't seem to bother. They even seem to want to hide the fact that there is so much critisizm against US' role in the world (Bush:"Americans are the best people"...). I think the US patriotism has grown totally out of proportions, and that is because - yes: exactly because I don't think USA is "loving and accepting". Not only is Bush selected by a minority of those who voted, but he has got Russia, China, the most of the Catholics including the Pope, the Muslims and maybe even the majority of the European population against his way of running your country. Even UN was not on his side when he wanted to attack Iraq. If you didn't already know this, of course you will be confused when encountering these facts...

In Europe we are not much better. We think we are the center of the world, but both politically, economically and geographically we are a minority. Like USA.

You live in a part of the world with only two major parties, and where even the political party that got the least votes got the President. That in itself is worth questioning, isn't it? :-]

#25 ·
I may be vegan, but I'm not republican oran athiest. Many veggies are Christian, that's why there are so many arguments about eating meat in the bible and such. In fact, I am Catholic, and Democratic.

People ask me things like that, and I just say I have my own set of beliefs. You can be Republican or democratic, christian, or athiest, and still believe it's wrong to eat animals.

I agree with Robert, do what makes YOU happy, don't care what anyone thinks. That's the whole reason I am the way I am. I made my own decisions and never let anyone dictate what I do, my beliefs, and what I put into my body. It's my business, and my business only, and I am happy and healthy doing so.

If you feel like you'd be happier as an omni, do it. Just make sure it's what you want. I have been considering going back lacto-veg, but I decided I am happier vegan, although it may be harder, I stick to my beliefs.

#26 ·
veganchick, it is your decision. We can't tell you what to do. But why would you let those other vegans tell you what to do either? Just like people can be Christian and homosexual, you can be you and vegan... but it comes down to what's in your mind/heart. I would tend to feel that if you became on omni because vegans told you you couldn't be a vegan, then that wouldn't be the real reason. Because honestly it is a silly reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.