VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read this in time- tonight on FOX 8 5/5/03 10 PM in the cleveland viewing area, they are doing a feature from what looks like footage done by aRA's. They are dubbing it as somthing horrendous and shocking. I will put a link here to the online story once they put it on their site if they do.

ETA-

It was actually an investigation done by the news channel itself. They are touting it as, "Inside the hen house... what you see may change your eating habits forever..."

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To update- It was really good. First, it was a long piece. They showed all of the video here:

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/weave...eo_gallery.asp

And they went to an individual farm owner who sells real expensive free range eggs (and from the video, the birds had lot of room and looked very healthy). The journalist also talked with an activist, some pro animal expert, the owner of Buckeye Farms, and a spokesperson for united egg producers. I think the spokesperson looked foolish. He said the chickens prefer to live that way.

They also explained that free range on a package doesn't mean much, to look for the Hsus seal instead. They also explained that the law doesn't protect chickens, and legally they are only required to have 56 square inches. People kept holding up a sheet of paper and saying, less than this sheet of paper.

So it was more than I had hoped for. I will be sending a very nice letter tomorrow. I will post a link if they put one up. (I taped it, too.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was thinking of making a thread about this, but you beat me to it.

I watched it, and some of it was very disturbing.

The free range farm looked like the chickens had good living conditions though.

I'm glad they did a story on the subject, I hope they do more in the future.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I saw this..and so did my omni boyfriend. I'm sitting here in shock today because he told me on the way to work that he's not ever eating chicken or eggs again. I mentioned to him that if he wants to see how all of his other "food" is mistreated I'll show him. The wheels are turning for him again.
Victory is gained in small steps in my opinion. Deep down I believe he is a vegetarian and just hasn't accepted it yet...he'll come around though as he becomes educated to the conditions these animals are subjected to.

I'm writing Fox 8 today and asking them to do a series on factory farming. I mean, why stop there? Show folks how the pigs and cow and steers and all of these other factory farm animals "live".

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm writing too, but I am still in shock that they did the piece!

I am not sure what to say. I even thought about sending a vegan gift basket to the guy who did the story. Actually we shouldn't be that surprised, Dick Goddard is a long time animal supporter, he probably supported the project. They have shown other disturbing video in the past (fur farms, dog fur farms)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Fox 8 is the best. And they are the only ones that don't show that annoying scroll at the bottom of the screen. I can't stand to watch a news program with that on the bottom of the screen..so distracting. Anyhow...Dick Goddard is the best! I saw my old Lucky on the news one morning and that's when I first fell in love with him...Goddard's Pet Parade I think it was called at the time. He didn't have much longer to live in the pound and was in dire need of some TLC. I miss Lucky (he passed away recently) but am so grateful to have spent time with him. Had it not been for Dick Goddard, Lucky and I would not have met.

·
Registered
0 Posts
this is excellent...

mainstream media running stories is exactly what we need. people will not listen to the extremists, but they will listen to the news.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.