VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 16th, a 50-miler. My goal is to finish in under 7 hours. I've been doing a lot a hill work this past week. I'm going to start working in some runs for time, starting at 3 hours (today) and gradually up to 8 by the end of May. 107 days to prepare

I'll try to post regularly on my progress. Please pitch in any tips, advice or train along with me. I'd love to hear from anybody training up for a race!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Awesomeness! I'd love to one day work up to a 50-miler and am anxious to hear how your training goes! Best of luck.

I signed up for a trail half marathon on June 2nd that I'm looking forward to.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Wow, I am officially impressed
I don't know if I'll be able to finish the 5k I'm signing up for in May

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the Bethel Hill Moonlight Boogie. It's a relatively small event. They limit the field to 75 participants.

My run yesterday was cut short due to inclement weather. Only got about 8 miles in before the skies started down pouring on me.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Brilliant! Have you a blog or facebook page we can follow?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This will be my first ultra. I don't have a dedicated blog, but I'll consider starting one. That could be fun.

Past workouts:
Saturday- 1 mile (fast paced), 20 hill sprints (10 lunges in between iterations), 1 mile (fast paced)
Sunday- 5 miles (moderate)

Took the day off today. I had preparations to take care of for work. I'll be out of town Wednesday-Tuesday and it's not looking like I'll be able to get my running in. So I plan to focus on stretching and calisthetics to get whatever exercise I can.

I've been eating a lot! I have about 5 meals throughout the day when I can. I'm trying to get my hands on some chia, the super food. If everything I've read and heard is true, it could make a big difference for anyone trying to keep their bodies fueled for serious physical output.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Didn't get any running done the past few days, BUT, I did hike about 40 miles the past 3 days. My legs feel pretty good. I plan to get back on track with my runs on Tuesday.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by runultra View Post

I've been eating a lot! I have about 5 meals throughout the day when I can. I'm trying to get my hands on some chia, the super food. If everything I've read and heard is true, it could make a big difference for anyone trying to keep their bodies fueled for serious physical output.
My husband is doing a lot of training and I have found the recipes in Brendan Braziers Thrive cookbook a godsend.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I'm tired just reading about those workouts.
I thought the same thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

My husband is doing a lot of training and I have found the recipes in Brendan Braziers Thrive cookbook a godsend.
I may have to give that a look.

The weather has been uncooperative the past couple days. It seems like we've been getting rain and wind every other day. If it clears up any this afternoon I plan to do a 10-mile interval run; 10 minutes jogging, 1 minute sprint, 5 minutes jogging, 2 minutes sprint, repeat. Interval training works your cardio through the spectrum, low to high intensity. It's a great way to burn fat, build endurance and boost your metabolism. And active recovery, that is, recovering from high intensity exertion while on the move, will help you learn to control your breathing and manage your heart rate. They're easy to incorporate into any routine. Give it a try!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
20.12 miles yesterday in 2:44. Short recovery run today (5 miles) and lots of stretching. My legs aren't very sore, but my quads are a little tight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
8-mile fartlek today. I made a HUGE pot of beans, rice, zucchini, onions, mushrooms and plenty other goodness. I didn't even put a dent in it. I've got leftovers for days and days, completely overestimated my appetite.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by runultra View Post

I made a HUGE pot of beans, rice, zucchini, onions, mushrooms and plenty other goodness. I didn't even put a dent in it. I've got leftovers for days and days, completely overestimated my appetite.
Beans always taste better on day 3

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

Beans always taste better on day 3
I'll have to test that theory. I rather enjoy it cold though, surprising.

I got a nice cross fit workout in this morning:
4 rounds, 10 reps each exercise with 50lb sand bag

cleans
front squat
push press
bent over row
good morning
turkish get up (5 each hand)

Shooting for a 4-hour run this afternoon, should hit around 30 miles. Easy, comfortable pace, averaging about 8:30/mile

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well my planned 4-hour turned out to only be 2 hours. Worked a little late and didn't want to run out in the dark, but I got 15 miles done.

On another note; I found a fantastic Indian restaurant with an extensive vegan menu! It's fantastic. However, it turns out I don't do as well with spicy food as I used to. It was delicious, but I was sweating profusely! The cook actually came out and apologized to me because he felt bad watching me ha ha.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.