VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attachment 16234Attachment 16233Attachment 16232The local shelter had someone bring in a kitten when it was 1-2 weeks old. They found him all by himself in some tires
So now we're fostering him! He's a little over 3 weeks old they think. He's walking around, ears are starting to come up, and he's eating great. This is our first foster so it's exciting and scary at the same time. The biggest thing that I'm concerned about is that he's all alone and there were no nursing mothers to go with or littermaters the same age. He sticks to me like glue and you can just tell he wants his mommy and brothers and sisters
We share our apartment with Archie a small dog and Zoey the cat (in avatar) Archie can't get enough of Rex (kitten's name) but wants to be licking him all the time which is just too much. It's his first night here and Zoe is still really stand off-ish but I'm hoping she warms up to him. If anyone has any tips I'll gladly take it! Attaching pics

LL
LL
LL

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
That cat's adorable! And has Zoey ever had kittens? I adopted my calico from a shelter and the shelter said she had kittens but they were adopted out as soon as they were old enough and after that my calico seemed a bit depressed and anti-social around the people since they took the babies. A couple years later we ended up rescuing a five week old runt, a little orange tabby. My calico, who never took to any of our other cats, took immediately to the kitten, and they were inseparable. My calico was usually the most antisocial cat in the world but she would snuggle with and lick/bathe the kitten. It might have also been the coloring, though, because I imagine if a calico had a male baby it might be an orange tabby. Whenever I get new cats otherwise, though, my cats will be stand-offish for a few days, too, it's just normal and then eventually they let them into their little group. So if Zoe has never had any kittens she probably just sees this as a new, strange cat, kitten or not.

Also, that's adorable that the kitten gets along so well with your dog! I love baby cats because they bond so well with other animals.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Adorable! Reminds me of my cat, Butter. He's orange and white too

My advice is to cuddle him A LOT. Kittens need that contact. Their mothers purr to comfort them, so try laying him on your chest so he can feel and hear your heartbeat. Also, keep a lot of blankets and soft things around. And I know that you probably already know this, but don't leave Archie and the kitten alone together. Archie might accidentally hurt him while trying to play.

Good luck with your new family member
Kittens are so much fun.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The licking might calm down, its a new kitten and Archie is just as excited as you. A while ago I fostered a pair of kittens around the same age and the dog was the same way for the first day but calmed down after that. Our dog was similar to Jessica's cat though, the humane society said she had two litters of puppies before we adopted her.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i'd throw in a heat source to where he's sleeping, like a heating pad (not electric) that's covered well with a towel or dry rice heated in the microwave in a sock. just make sure he can get away from it if he gets too warm.

spend lots of time with him and take pictures

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello everyone! Here's a little update. Rex is doing really well! He has started going in the litter box when we put him in there without stimulation! He's still eating great and I can tell that everyday he's learning new things and growing. The only thing I'm concerned about is his little behind. Since he doesn't have a mommy to clean him after pottying he gets dirty and really irritated. We've been trying to just wipe him a little very gently with a damp towel so he's not filthy but I feel so bad that he's irritated. I don't know what else I can do or if this has happened to other people? We've been cuddling him a ton and Zoey has finally warmed up a bit. Unfortunately, she's not taking on a mother roll but Archie is sure doing his best! Haha. I got him one of those Cuddle Cats (in picture) that has the buckwheat in it and you can warm it up and he loves that!
LL

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Rex is so adorable! And that cuddle cat is such a good idea, I didn't know they made some specifically for cats. My cat has a warm/freeze teddy bear that I warm up for her to sleep on if it's cold at night, but it's actually for people, we never actually looked for any made specially for pets.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Aww he's so cute! So sweet.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
I did this and had to bottle feed him every few hours.

Feeding was just awful--he would claw at me and the bottle. Eventually I rolled up a towel and laid the bottle on top of it so he could be in a position like he would be if he was nursing from his mother, and that did the trick. He liked the feeling of the towel too. I had to burp him, which he didn't like.

He would actually follow at my heels every second and try to copy what I was doing. I put him with another cat for a while and he copied the cat (thankfully).

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Adorable. We have a stray here and she has really made herself at home. She was 3 months old when she turned up on the doorstep. She is now 8 months and you would hardly know she started out as a stray, she is glossy and pretty and loves to sit all over the furniture and makes herself at home anywhere. She is very clever too.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
What a precious little tyke. You are doing a wonderful thing.

For his little bottom, does the shelter have any suggestions for cream of salve or anything. I assume without the cleaning from a mama kitty, there must be some kind of substitute that can be used to soothe and heal the skin.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
My vet told me to use A&D diaper rash ointment on my cat's sore bottom (from diarrhea) and it worked well. Trimming the fur around the anus can help keep the stool off, too. What a sweet kitty you are fostering!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, what we started doing is giving him a slight bottom rinse off and using a little dawn soap. His tail went from always looking caked and gross to silky and dry. He gets mad for the first few seconds but then seems to really enjoy it, probably because he feels so much better after wards. That has helped the irritation a lot. I can't wait until his stools start getting a little firmer so he doesn't make such a mess all the time and it makes for less laundry for us haha!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What a terrifying morning!!!!!!!!!!! So last night Rex was doing just great, eating, struttin around the apartment, and everything like normal. This morning it was past when he usually wakes up but I looked in his crate and he was still breathing and looked fine. After he still hadn't woken up a while later meowing for food a picked him out of the crate and he was just floppy and weak. His eyes were open but they were glazed over, he felt totally lifeless, and his mouth was purple. We couldn't get him to stand and he wasn't making any noises. We immediately called the shelter and they got a hold of the vet and we were able to get him in. After the vet initially looked at him she told us that there wasn't much that they could do for him because he is so young and because of his history it could be so many things. She told us that he probably had less than a 5% chance to live but that she'd get him some heat packs and give him some sugar and give us some time with him. I just couldn't believe it! He went downhill so fast. Not to long after he was on heat and the sugar kicked in he started looking a little better. She then decided to give him a shot of fluids and his body accepted it right away. After another round of sugar and more fluids he was starting to put some weight on his legs and was moving his head around. We were starting to get some hope. After some more hot packs they took some blood to do some testing and found that his blood sugar had dropped really low, most likely the culprit. They got him to eat some food and sent us on our way. We've been getting him to eat every 1 1/2 and he seems to be doing a lot better. You can tell he's exhausted but he's been alert and did some walking. We're keeping him with heat and watching him like a hawk. The scary thing about these little guys is that they can be fine one hour and gone the next. We're holding our breath that he keeps pulling through and getting stronger. This little guy had a special place in my heart before this but when we thought we were losing him I promised him that we would keep him if he made it. I wouldn't hesitate at all except for the fact that we will be apartment living for a while still. Considering we already have a small dog and cat, we're worried about finding housing with another cat. I keep telling Derik that we'll hide him! Right now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my baby keeps getting better.

·
Registered
586 Posts
this brought tears to my eyes - it's so frightening. i'll keep him in my thoughts. he is so tiny! you should definitely keep him...we have four cats in our apartment haha! you've been doing an excellent job and all the right things - you deserve to have him in your life. best wishes he continues to get better

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Good luck with the little guy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts