VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to change the size of the checkbox in a form? And the size of the check inside it? Here is the page that I am working on. It seems to work just fine. But I want to make the checkbox bigger so that people with low vision can find it, and check it off, easier. Same thing with the submit button -- bigger button, bigger text. Also, I might like to change the character for the check -- perhaps completely color the box, or use a large, bold X instead of a checkmark.

I asked here, but no-one answered yet.

Actually, I think I've figured out how to get a bigger button. There is more than one way to get an image into a button, and I can use Photoshop to put text on the image, but i still haven't figured out how to get bigger checkboxes with bigger checks. Also, I guess I have to use Javascript if I want different button images on mouse-roll-overs, whatever. I'm having trouble finding a tutorial i can understand that explains this stuff. Most of the tutorials explain how to make forms, but no details whatsoever re changing the size or appearance of form elements -- or even changing the typeface or type size used on a submit button

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately my web site has been closed down due to non-payment. So I can't try any of this out now. I may not have money to pay my bill, for a few days, and meanwhile the world is missing out on important information about whether any material is animal, vegetable, or mineral.

Wonder, while I understood your html code above, I don't really understand what "dhtml" means, and the microsoft page you gave me a link to was pure gobbledegook to me. For example, after, in the left frame, I clicked "input type=checkbox" I got....

"The following table lists the members exposed by the input type=checkbox object. Click a tab on the left to choose the type of member you want to view."

Members? Exposed? What does membership and exposure have to do with marking up a page to position text, graphic, and multi-media elements on a page? In that context, what is a "member"? What does it mean if a member is "exposed." ? I didn't see any "tab" on the left. There was nothing that looked like a "tab" to me. And there was nothing that had the label "tab" near it. How am I supposed to find the tabs? Truthfully, that page is pretty useless to me. I don't see how I can determine what markup to put on a page, to do anything, from the "information" on that page. I need examples, not "grammar rules" using terminology that makes no sense to me. I didn't learn English by learning grammar rules, and I have never been able to figure out what to say in html, to convey meaning, that a web server understands, from grammar rules either. I need to know what to write, where to write it, and then I need to write it, and open the page, to see how it looks. I can't figure out what to write, from rules using terms that have not been defined for me. Members? Exposed? Looking up their meaning in a dictionary, or google, isn't much help. I get the general meaning of members and exposed, not the meaning they have on this microsoft page.

Even if I do a google search for html members exposed, I don't get any pages with meaningful information.

Also, I thought the correct form was input type="checbox" -- with quotation marks around the word checkbox.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Here's a list of free web hosts:

http://support.proboards.com/index.c...ead=1127145738

DHTML=Dynamic Hyper Text Markup Language

It's HTML+Javascript+CSS. You create a document and can alter it on the fly, without page reloads.

The link I gave you was a site to help DHTML developers with their programming. It's mostly useful for Javascript and CSS (click on the Styles section of 'input type=checkbox'). It's a bit dry, akward, and uses big words, but it's an excellent JS encyclopedia.

You don't need quotes around checkbox but it is good practice to do so.

If you need more help with Javascript, I highly recommend http://www.devguru.com/

If you want to be a decent website designer, you'll need to be pretty proficient at Javascript, CSS, and HTML.

HTH,

~Wonder

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not able to find a free web host that supports all of the following, server side includes, php, Perl with cgi module. And I would like MySQL and telnet or SSH access so I can use MySQL monitor -- which is the most productive way I've found to learn SQL. In re to free web servers, you get what you pay for. If you find a decent one, after a few months they go out of business. So far I have always found that trying to work with free web hosts turns out to be a big time-wasting proposition; working with inexpensive, economical, legitimate web-hosting companies, is a productive venture. The cost is so low that it seems crazy to piss around with free hosts.

"members exposed just means the various properties, objects, methods, and collections available to or through that object"

That doesn't seem to help me with understanding what is meant by

"Click a tab on the left to choose the type of member you want to view."

And if it is better to use a quote around "checkbox" why is this page displaying it without quotes?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is how my page looks on a free web server.

I'm looking at the php pages on http://www.devguru.com/

I found it incomprehensible. I found the tutorials at http://www.w3schools.com/ to be comprehensible, but not the stuff at devguru.com

w3schools has tutorials on html and css, php, and mysql, all of which I went thru, and on xhtml, whatever that is, but nothing on dhtml.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Wonder. I followed your instructions and I added css instructions of "height:30px;width:30px" -- and it is not working.

page is at http://shakahara.com/buttonsize2.php

In the head I put

HTML Code:

In the body, here is the html code for the form

HTML Code:

"post" action="buttonsize.php">

The button was increased in size to accomodate the bigger type face I specified with css, however the check box was not increased in size.

By the way, the veggieboards bbcode of isn't working.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the button and the checkbox with exactly the same css code applied to each -- i copied and pasted fr one to the other, to make absolutely sure -- and the button got increased in size but the checkbox -- still small.

It added 100px of area for the box to sit in the middle of, but the box and the checkmark inside it are still small.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.