VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: If there is another thread about this, feel free to lock this one.

I have this odd, lifelong goal of learning as many languages as I can. I really want to travel (I've never been anywhere outside of the US
) and it would be nice to not feel lost or be in need of a translator.

En ce moment, j'apprends parler français. Mais, je voudrais apprendre l'italian et le neérlandais, ainsi.
Translation: At the moment, I am learning to speak French. But I would like to learn Italian and Dutch as well.

What about you guys?
How many languages to do you speak, other than your native tongue, and what are they? What languages would you like to learn in the near future?

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
There was a thread about this a while back, but that's okay. I'll answer in this one.

English is my native language. I'm functionally fluent in Russian, and I still remember some Spanish from high school too.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I speak parseltongue.
That doesn't surprise me. You always were a snake.

Personally, I speak English. That's foreign to some people.

I've tried learning Spanish and French in the past, but with minimal success. And from my semi-religious Jewish upbringing, I went to enough Hebrew school as a kid to know the Hebrew alphabet, so I can sound out words, though I don't know what any of them mean. I had a tough time learning languages in school. I was much better at subjects that emphasized understanding over memorization, like math.

--Fromper

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm French, so my native language is French and since I'm on this forum, obviously I speak English.
I also speak a bit of Esperanto and want to start learning Japanese and reactivate my German (I'll start doing that on my own, at first, from September on).
Once I'm done with these, I'll probably give a go at Spanish, which will be useful if I ever decide to travel to South America - or Spain of course.

And since you're learning, I'll correct you, then

"En ce moment, j'apprends parler français. Mais, je voudrais apprendre l'italian et le neérlandais, ainsi."
->
"En ce moment, j'apprends Ã* parler français. Mais je voudrais apprendre l'italien et le néerlandais, aussi."

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushichô View Post

And since you're learning, I'll correct you, then

"En ce moment, j'apprends parler français. Mais, je voudrais apprendre l'italian et le neérlandais, ainsi."
->
"En ce moment, j'apprends Ã* parler français. Mais je voudrais apprendre l'italien et le néerlandais, aussi."
Ah. Merci!

You'll have to excuse me, I've only been studying for three years. Also, I only have one friend who speaks fluent in French, but I haven't seen her in months. I can only talk to her on Facebook, but she's overseas at the moment so it's hard to keep in touch.

And I can't get any help locally because of my friends who are always saying, "This is America! We speak English!" Yeah, if you consider "I ain't doin' nothin'" English, then you're spot on![/sarcasm]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Given that you didn't make any mistakes with the verbs, which are such a pain in French that many French get it wrong, I sure excuse you !

"This is America! We speak English!" => HAHA! People are exactly the same in France! "On est en France, on parle français !"
Sure, but the world is vast outside France (or America), guys!

Et si t'as besoin d'aide en français, n'hésite pas.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's good to know that Americans aren't the only ones who are stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushichô View Post

Et si t'as besoin d'aide en français, n'hésite pas.
Merci!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I am from the U.S. so I'm a native English speaker.

I learned Spanish in school but didn't retain much. I'm actually in the process of relearning/becoming reacquainted with it. I'm enjoying learning it much more now that I did in high school. I think maybe because I am friends with native Spanish speakers, so it's more fun to learn...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
English and French, some Spanish, minimal Latin. Want to learn Japanese.

And Parseltongue, naturally.

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
I can get by in Spanish and i'm teaching myself Russian. I want to learn Catalan and ASL also but i'm not good with languages so i probably wont add (m)any more to the list of languages i want to learn.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I'm a native English speaker, and can converse a bit in Spanish. I tried to Chinese, German, and Japanese without much success. I spent 3 weeks in Krakow, Poland, learning the Polish language (long story), so I can greet people in Polish, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
English and Spanish. But I can usually understand Italian and French (because I speak Spanish).

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Native English. Took some Spanish, forgot most, but I can read it much better than speaking it. I know a tiny bit of Norwegian (Jeg lærer norsk for moro skyld. Jeg er ikke god foreløpig), and a lot of random words in a bunch of languages (German, French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, some others) but nothing to actually hold a conversation.

I would really like to actually learn and be fluent in another language. I just don't know anyone that speaks another one and would make me keep up with it.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
English, I used to be semi-fluent in American Sign Language, but I've lost quite a bit of it. I wouldn't mind re-learning it. I'm going to take Spanish this fall, seeing as I took 2 1/2 years in high school it should come back to me.

I wouldn't mind learning French, Italian, German, Parseltongue, Latin, and a myriad of other languages.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Spanish was my first language, but I forgot it when I was two and started going to school and learned English. Now I'm taking Spanish in High School, though, and it comes very naturally to me. It's sort of like picking up a book you haven't read in a while and as you read along the plot starts to come back to you but the details are just vaguely familiar but mostly forgotten.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was born in Germany and still have a small amount of family there.
Sadly, I lost everything I knew and had to re-learn from scratch. Now, I can understand 95% of what is spoken to me and can speak fairly well back. Reading and writing is a *little* bit of a struggle because Germans have a knack of adding words together in order to make bigger ones and as such, you end up hurdling words like doppelpumpelschnitzenhausengruebberflinganflangen.

That aside and the hideous nightmare that is German grammar, I'm still half-decent at it.

And a light smattering of French. But only VERY light.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm a native French speaker but I like to consider English as my second language as I love it very much

Besides English, I also learnt Spanish for 4 years, Japanese for 3, German for 1 and Scottish Gaelic for 1 semester. I also had a go at Chinese 3 years ago (it was mandatory during my master's) but forgot everything from lack of practise. Now that I'm in China, I'm trying to learn once again but it's a real hassle, considering that didactic and pedagogy are somethinng compltely foreign, here.

I love languages, learning them and studying them; they're a way of discovering the world.

My biggest disappointement is that I couldn't study or practise all the languages I learnt for very long
, therefore I'm only fluent in English and remenber only words from the others, though I wish I could be a real polyglot.

Diamond, as Fushichô said, if you need help with your French, just ask

1 - 20 of 43 Posts