VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there:

I'm always looking for good foreign films to watch when i go to the video store.

Can anyone recommend some good ones?

I find them usually more interesting than the mainstream ones form Hollywood.

My favourites are: Cinema Paradiso (yes i know it's old)(Italian)

and "Du Ju" or "Ju Du" it's japanese i believe and it is fabulous.

" Tie Me Up Tie Me Down" is also alot of fun, starring Antonio Banderas BEFORE he came to Hollywood.

All About My Mother" also very good

but i have to say the movie which surprised me the most was " "

Dancer In The Dark " starring Bjork. It is truly a strange film when it starts you think it's B-O-R-I-N-G, but give it time, it is AMAZING and the ending will leave you speechless. that one was a real surprise find.

I would love to hear what you guys would recommend

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I like Farinelli, but it's mainly a type of musical. Of course old school japanese is good like Yojimbo or Seven Samaurai. I never watch it dubbed! I also like Brotherhood of the Wolf that one is realitively new & french. So there ya go!

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
If you want to see something beyond comprehension, watch Last Year at Marienbad by Alain Resnais.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
"Ridicule" is probably my favorite French film.

"Tampopo" is good (Japanese). "Mama There's a Man in Your Bed" (French). "The Official Story" (Spanish).

And then I have an unhealthy addiction to Japanese movies of questionable quality. "The Hidden Fortress," the "Zatoichi" films, etc...

I agree that "Tie Me Up Tie Me Down" is fabulous!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Amelie!!

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Life is Beautiful

I ADORED Monsoon Wedding, which no one other than me has ever seen...
It was made by Universal, but Mira Nair (the director) is Indian and it's set in New Delhi. It's in an English/Hindi/Punjabi hybrid -- sometimes has subtitles, sometimes not. Unusual, but absolutely wonderful... Check it out if you can find it.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Monsoon Wedding was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

also,

Bend it Like Beckham

Et Tu Mama Tambien

El Crimen del Padre Amoro

**** 8 Women SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
tatie dannielle - french dark comedy about a family whos mean nasty aunt moves in and starts driving them crazy.

no man's land- dark comedy about the serbo-croatian war. Some guys get stuck between front lines and nobody can figure out what to do.

belle epoque- spanish comedy. bedroom farce, everybody thinks somebody else likes somebody else.

Central Station- brazillian. very, very good. Little boy is on this road trip with a kind of mean lady to try to find his father. Sounds boring, but it trust me, it's good.

El Mariachi- Desperado with Antonio Banderas was sort of a follow up to this original film done on a $7000 budget. Great film. Guitar player gets stuck in a case of mistaken identity, people want to kill him.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mskedi

And then I have an unhealthy addiction to Japanese movies of questionable quality. "The Hidden Fortress," the "Zatoichi" films, etc...
thank god for samurai saturdays on the IFC.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Mskedi, its on Digital Cable, the full name is the Independent Film Channel, they show only independent and foreign films.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ca Commence Aujourd'hui - dir. Bernard Tavernier

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Woyzeck, Nosferatu the Vampyre, Stroszek, etc - dir. Werner Herzog

and possibly Le Dernier Metro, directed by Truffaut (sp.?)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
to add to the Japanese favourites, and my all time favourite:

Shichinin no samurai; in the US versions --> Seven Samurai or Magnificent Seven

Another good one is: Rashomon

Some non-japanese(but still east Asian) that I like are: Beijing Bicycle, Farewell my Concubine, Tampopo, Raise the Red Lantern(super good movie-the main character is vegetarian if i remember correctly), Scent of Green Papaya, and anything with Jacky Chan or Jet Li.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I am a big Kurosawa fan too... yojimbo, roshomon, seven samurai, sanjuro, red beard, & high and low there are a few I havent seen too...these are the ones I have seen....

hiroshi inagaki films such as Samurai I, II, III are good too...

If you like tarantino, you should like eary john woo movies. A Hong Kong film classic = The Killer. Some other good ones are, A Better Tommorrow and A Better Tommorrow II and Hard Boiled. Other good Hong Kong cinemas are The Blade, City on Fire, and Once Upon a Time in China.

for a bit of surrealism... 8 1/2 by fellini is awesome....Amarcord is also good.

I just saw Closely Watched Trains directed by Jiri Menzel....its czech I believe and it was quite good.

Another favorite movie of mine is Children of Paradise directed by Marcel Carne.

and its not out yet... but in November Ararat comes out on DVD its Canadian but its made by an Armenian.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts