VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a vegetarian but mostly vegan and I was at my mom's boyfriend's parents' house a while ago and everyone was having burgers with the exception of me and my veggie burger, and my mom made me cut my boyfriend's 6 year old kid's meat. It was the most uncomfortable, awful experience ever and I quickly told my mom I was unable to continue doing so.

I know didn't really have a choice anyways but I feel bad even though it was my mom's fault for making me do something I was uncomfortable with. Does this still make me a bad person?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hell, I still cook the meat on the grill when my family has a cook out. Apparently I'm really good at it, and they're going to eat it whether I cook it or someone else cooks it, so I might as well make them happy.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Hi I'm a vegetarian but mostly vegan and I was at my mom's boyfriend's parents' house a while ago and everyone was having burgers with the exception of me and my veggie burger, and my mom made me cut my boyfriend's 6 year old kid's meat. It was the most uncomfortable, awful experience ever and I quickly told my mom I was unable to continue doing so.

I know didn't really have a choice anyways but I feel bad even though it was my mom's fault for making me do something I was uncomfortable with. Does this still make me a bad person?
Maybe your mom thought it would be a better idea that you should be the one to take care of your boyfriends 6 year old son .... You're not a bad person at all :eek:

Animals should be loved not eaten ! :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
No, it definitely doesn't make you a bad person!

Maybe you should have a chat with your mum though and explain WHY cutting someone else's meat is off-putting for you. She probably didn't even think it would be a problem.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts

You're certainly not bad or anything fir cutting some meat.

Was your boyfriend there? If so, he should have stepped in to help you out.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Hell, I still cook the meat on the grill when my family has a cook out. Apparently I'm really good at it, and they're going to eat it whether I cook it or someone else cooks it, so I might as well make them happy.
You should borrow this book from the library. Read it, get some good recipes, and grill that at your next cookout.:shifty: Not that I would ever condone someone grilling veggies at a cookout...:D

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts

My son-in-law's company had a "cook out" recently.

Most of the people brought burgers......he brought a black bean veggie burger. :eek:

He said the principle of the thing was more important than public opinion.

If you don't want to cut meat....don't do it. It might cause a ruckus, but what the heck.

You are not a bad person. You do have a choice. Why should your desires be denied in favor of those of somebody else? Whose are more important?

If you wanted your Mom to cook eel & she didn't want to.....would she do it? :eek:

Set your own limits & expect other people to respect them. :)

Reactions: Purp

·
Registered
217 Posts
Any reason the child's father can't cut his sons meat? Where is he in all this?
But no you arent bad just need to learn to stand up for yourself. If u didn't mind it's not a big deal they eat meat not u. But if u mind then u shouldn't do it. Just stand up and say it's against your basic principles to encourage a child to eat flesh.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yah my mom shortly realized it was stupid for the vegetarian to cut her boyfriend's kid's meat after I stopped as i was uncomfortable and looked at my mom to tell her i was very uncomfortable. I guess I just get scared that my mom or people will make me feel bad because they don't understand by saying things like what? you can't serve a little piece of meat or really you can't even look at it? I guess because the people I know see it as a diet "thing" and not a change in lifestyle and state of spiritual well being.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts