VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been here in some time, but I'm very interested in your thoughts.

I just heard about this investigation which revealed lab workers abusing cats and dogs...I won't dwell on the specifics because I've cried enough about this tonight, but you may of course read the article or view the undercover footage. In summary, this lab tests products such as flea and worm medication. These poor, poor animals were terribly abused in doing sonot only from the actual tests but just because some humans are pathetic, disgusting inviduals.

My question, then, is how do you as a vegan deal with this? If you have a companion animal, do you use flea and other such products? Knowing that the makers of Frontline, for example, have paid this lab to test products, are you still able to reason that you have to do what is best for your animal? Advice? Insight?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
I have 4 dogs the oldest is 11 and we have only used the flea medication once on the bigger dog after we took him hiking a few summers ago, he got some fleas and we learned he is very allergic to flea bites so when we took him to the vet they gave him advantage.
Prevention is the key to avoiding fleas. I put garlic powder in my dogs food and they get brewers yeast in the biscuits i make for them, both of these prevent fleas. Also if i think they have had exposure (from the park or beach) we have a spray that has neem and peppermint oil, both of which fleas hate.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I have 4 dogs the oldest is 11 and we have only used the flea medication once on the bigger dog after we took him hiking a few summers ago, he got some fleas and we learned he is very allergic to flea bites so when we took him to the vet they gave him advantage.
Prevention is the key to avoiding fleas. I put garlic powder in my dogs food and they get brewers yeast in the biscuits i make for them, both of these prevent fleas. Also if i think they have had exposure (from the park or beach) we have a spray that has neem and peppermint oil, both of which fleas hate.
Aren't dogs allergic to garlic? I have some garlic powder but I'm afraid of giving it to them. I use frontline occasionally when I see a lot of fleas on them, my mom has tried many of the flea mess out there and frontline is the only one that works on my cats, and I use it for my dogs too since the cat and dog medicine is the same but in different dosage. Now I don't know what to do, though. I don't know if there are any flea meds not tested on animals, but at the same time with ticks that could be very harmful to dogs and people I don't know if it's better to use this medicine or jeopardize my animals' health.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Yeah, garlic can be toxic in large amounts, although smaller amounts of it are usually okay. I wouldn't purposefully feed my dog garlic. I use commercial flea medications on my dog for the same reasons I vaccinate myself and take prescription medicine when necessary.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Luckily, I live in a climate where fleas and ticks are not a problem (except in shelters where the animals sometimes come from other climates). So on my own dogs we don't use those products unless we travel.

I'm not opposed to using the products, though. It's the same as with medications for humans. I use medications that were once tested on animals. I'd encourage anyone interested in stopping animal testing to work hard at:
- encouraging alternative tests
- promoting alternative tests
- encouraging people to choose cruelty-free products for cosmetics and other nonessentials
- use generic medicines whenever possible
- expose animal testing cruelty by sharing the videos and talking with friends and family about it

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Garlic is fine for dogs, Ive been giving it to my dogs for over 8 years and started from advice from our vet.

there are even garlic supplements for sale for dogs for fleas and other issues: http://www.springtimeinc.com/product..._garlic_d/dogs, http://www.preciouspets.org/articles...c-benefits.htm, http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...ic/999045.aspx

Yes, you can find websites that say garlic is bad for dogs too, but it is usually bc they lump onions and garlic together. dogs should not have onions, but garlic is fine and actually has some good benefits other than repelling fleas.
I look at it this way, the flea medications like frontline and advantage are POISON for sure, that's why we have to put it on the areas of their bodies that they can't lick, and why dosage is so important, if you gave a chihuahua sized dog the dose for a great dane sized dog the dog would be very sick and possible die. these facts to me are much more risky and scary than a natural remedy recommended to me by our vet: garlic. also garlic is a preventative measure, once the fleas are on the dog its too late for garlic, gotta go with baths to rid them. which is why we haven't had flea problems all these years, bc we PREVENT them with garlic.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have tried to use "natural" remedies for fleas when (if) my dog gets them. They don't work.

I use the flea medicines only as necessary. I had a vet tell me once I should put my dog on them 12 months out of the year. Uh...no. Usually he only needs it in the summer months. Thankfully he hasn't had to have any so far.

I look it as a necessary evil. Obviously I don't condone ANY animal abuse in the testing of these products but they do HAVE to be tested. But if the lab testers are abusing the animals because they are terrible people they need to be likewise abused. But if my dog needs a certain medicine from the vet, he is going to get it. Sorry, but he means FAR more to me than anything else. I am going to do what it takes to make sure he lives a long, happy and healthy life.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Garlic is fine for dogs, Ive been giving it to my dogs for over 8 years and started from advice from our vet.

there are even garlic supplements for sale for dogs for fleas and other issues: http://www.springtimeinc.com/product..._garlic_d/dogs, http://www.preciouspets.org/articles...c-benefits.htm, http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...ic/999045.aspx

Yes, you can find websites that say garlic is bad for dogs too, but it is usually bc they lump onions and garlic together. dogs should not have onions, but garlic is fine and actually has some good benefits other than repelling fleas.
I look at it this way, the flea medications like frontline and advantage are POISON for sure, that's why we have to put it on the areas of their bodies that they can't lick, and why dosage is so important, if you gave a chihuahua sized dog the dose for a great dane sized dog the dog would be very sick and possible die. these facts to me are much more risky and scary than a natural remedy recommended to me by our vet: garlic. also garlic is a preventative measure, once the fleas are on the dog its too late for garlic, gotta go with baths to rid them. which is why we haven't had flea problems all these years, bc we PREVENT them with garlic.
What about cats? Can cats eat garlic? If I can prevent fleas on my dogs it wouldn't help if my cat could still get them and spread them to them.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

What about cats? Can cats eat garlic? If I can prevent fleas on my dogs it wouldn't help if my cat could still get them and spread them to them.
yes, garlic and brewers yeast work for cats too. garlic powder is easier to give to cats bc its not as strong smelling as garlic cloves. also sprays like vinegar and water, or rosemary and water work well too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In small doses, garlic is actually good for pets. As far as I know, the correct amount of garlic will not harmful to dogs or cats and has actually been used by many people I know as a flea preventative. I would say that only garlic product i know of that is toxic to a cat or dog is garlic salt, and its because of the salt. I have never heard about raw garlic or garlic powder are being toxic to a dog or cat, as long as it's given in the correct amount based on the animal's weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts