VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't like hummus when I first tried it, and it took me a long time to get used to the flavor and texture (I've always found it to be a bit on the "gloppy" side). I know there are others who don't like hummus (and yet others who think that an aversion to hummus is tantamount to blasphemy
), but I think you're going to like this recipe which I tried out yesterday. It sure did change my mind about hummus...

1½ cups cooked chick peas (or 1 can, but I prefer cooking my own)

½ cup pimiento pieces, drained (or the same quantity of roasted red peppers)*

1/4 to 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes

2 T fresh lemon juice

2-3 tablespoon tahini OR natural peanut butter

1 teaspoon onion granules

1 teaspoon garlic granules

3/4 level tsp paprika

1/2 level tsp white pepper powder

1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard

1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce

3/4 teaspoon salt (you could use less)

**pizza sauce

Process the above ingredients in a blender until the resulting mixture is completely smooth (that is, no flecks of pimiento should be seen). Add some water if necessary. Chill to allow the flavors to develop.

This hummus is great when spread thinly on crackers or toast, or when thinned with (soy)milk/water, heated, and then poured over hot pasta. Inspired by Joanne Stepaniak's "Gee Whiz Spread".

*To roast the peppers

Roast the peppers: wash, halve, remove stem, all seeds and white membranes. Lay in a shallow baking pan or on a cookie sheet with a lip (the peppers tend to "sweat" quite a bit) and broil in the oven until the tops are blackened thoroughly. Remove from oven, place peppers in a paper bag and seal for 15-20 minutes. When they are cool, remove the charred skin.

Source: VegSource

**UPDATE: I mixed some pizza sauce into the hummus, and it's now even yummier. Should be great on broccoli, I think!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.