VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't share this with the entire world, but some people at VB expressed an interest in seeing this, so I'm posting it here for now:

(10 MB Quicktime file in MPEG-4 format, so be sure to have the latest version of Quicktime available)

http://home.pacbell.net/epski/vivisection.mov

It's pretty disturbing. I'll probably delete this in a few days.

·
Registered
878 Posts
im scared to open it ! whats on it ?

is it really bad

i watched meat your meet wait meet your meat and i could handle that

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
It's just sad...

Well, here's the defination of vivisected (small version) "operate on a live animal". It's not as bad as it seems, yet it is.

epski, think that's a good way of describing it withoug saying?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I didn't look at the footage, because I don't want to get sick and depressed. However, I did want to share the following Mark Twain quote:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it. The pains which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity towards it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further. It is so distinctly a matter of feeling with me, and is so strong and so deeply-rooted in my make and constitution, that I am sure I could not even see a vivisector vivisected with anything more than a sort of qualified satisfaction. I do not say I should not go and look on; I only mean that I should almost surely fail to get out of it the degree of contentment which it ought, of course, to be expected to furnish.

- Letter to London Anti-Vivisection Society, May 26, 1899

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
blech... sick. and i'm sure it's really "important" research to gain marvellous insights into the workings of the human body...

thanks for sharing epski!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I didn't watch it, meet your meat made me cry. I figured I'm even more emotionally attached to cats so I don't want to put myself through that, especially as I've been against that since I was little.

Has anyone here read The Naming of the Shrew??? It's a feminist perspective of animals and science, it is very good and has a section on vivisection...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This thread reminds me of this poem. Talk about heart-wrenching
I read this to my dad and even he felt a chill. It makes me tear up, no matter how many times I read it...

They Called Him Rags

They called him Rags, he was just a cur

But twice on the Western Line,

That little old bunch of faithful fur

Had offered his life for mine.

And all he got was bones and bread

And the leaving of soldiers' grub,

But he'd give his heart for a pat on the head,

A friendly tickle or rub.

And Rags got home with the regiment,

And then, in the breaking away--,

Well, whether they stole him, or whether he went,

I am not prepared to say.

But we mustered out, some to beer and gruel,

And some to sherry and shad,

And I went back to the Sawbones School,

Where I was an undergrad.

One day they took us budding M.D.'s

To one of those institutes

Where they demonstrate every new disease

By means of bisected brutes.

They had one animal tacked and tied

And slit like a full-dressed fish,

With his vitals pumping away inside

As pleasant as one might wish.

I stopped to look like the rest, of course,

And the beast's eyes leveled mine;

His short tail thumped with a feeble force,

And he uttered a tender whine.

It was Rags, yes, Rags! who was martyred there,

Who was quartered and crucified,

And he whined that whine which is doggish prayer

And he licked my hand--and died.

And I was no better in part nor whole

Than the gang I was found among,

And his innocent blood was on the soul

Which he blessed with his dying tongue.

Well! I've seen men go to courageous death

In the air, on sea, on land!

But only a dog would spend his breath

In a kiss for his murderer's hand.

And if there's no heaven for love like that,

For such four-legged fealtly--well!

If I have any choice, I tell you flat,

I'll take my chance in hell.

By Edmund Vance Cooke

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JLRodgers

It's just sad...

Well, here's the defination of vivisected (small version) "operate on a live animal". It's not as bad as it seems, yet it is.

epski, think that's a good way of describing it withoug saying?
Less "operate" than dissect or cut open. Operate has the wrong connotation for me.

You don't see actual vivisection taking place; you see the results.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Twain quote is one of my faves. I use the first half of it as one of my random e-mail signatures.

Some of our greatest minds have weighed in on this (also sigs I use):

"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research." -- George Bernard Shaw

Vivisection is the blackest of all the black crimes that a man is at present committing against God and his fair creation. -- Mahatma Gandhi

·
Registered
431 Posts
I made my entire year 12 (17-18 yr old guys and girls) media studies class cry when I gave a speech on Animal testing. I didn't set out to I just collected the facts including different types of experiments. I didn't even need pictures mind you. Most of them had no idea so the descriptions were enough to shock them.

Mind you I also realise that without some animal testing I would probably be in an asylum by now without the medication I take for bipolar.

·
Registered
878 Posts
thefragile77 i know how you feel i take meds to and i know they are tested on animals i feel ssoo bad but i cant not take them most of the time ! ugh i hate it so much

wud that be considered non-vegan ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
i didn't open it, but i did read the poem strix posted. dang it, i do more crying on this site than in most other areas of my life. if anyone ever asked me to disect something living, i can honestly say they would just have to kill me. i don't see how anyone who does can live with themselves, let alone sleep at night. i wonder what they'd say if someone offered to disect them for the good of science.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
reminds me of this poem
And perhaps the classic article by Hans Ruesch.

Quote:
"GOOD-BYE, STUPID LITTLE KITTEN!

No, you stupid little kitten, nobody's let you out, although your picture and cry for help were on display on all the news-stands of Europe, where millions of people saw them, and probably thousands couldn't sleep the following night. But this is all they did - and we, too. For a mad moment we hoped that some of those boys who liberate laboratory animals would rush to your rescue, but of course the odds were heavily against it, because the police protect the laboratory torturers and not their victims, heroes are few and far between, and the animals slated to die in the pseudo-scientific laboratories to provide alibis for the drug pushers are millions.

Soon you'll be immobilized in a stereotaxic device, so tightly that you can't move your head even by a hairbreath, maybe two steel rods will be inserted into the enucleated orbits of your eyes, and two clamps will press your ears so hard that your eardrums might burst - but don't worry if that happens, because its not going to influence the result of the experiment one bit, according to the catalogues of the manufacturers, Lab-Tronics and H. Neumann and Co., near Chicago, who ship such torture instruments to laboratories the world over. What counts is to keep you absolutely still, while the real action gets underway.

White-robed devils, disguised as 'scientists', will drill holes into your little head, and stick cannulas, sensors and electrodes into your little brain, to repeat on your nervous system pointless experiments that are being done time and time again since the last century; experiments that have never brought forth any benefit whatsoever, neither to mankind nor to catdom, but only to the experimenters themselves, procuring them personal satisfaction, sometimes fame and honours, and maybe even a Nobel Prize as in the case of Prof. Walter Hess of Zurich University - before it was discovered that all his conclusions were erroneous and must have caused untold harm to an undisclosed number of patients. Anyway, his and his colleagues' pseudo-scientific works still stand, largely unread, in some medical libraries, and stupid cats like yourself helped them get there.
Pic that goes with article here

Quote:
For you see, you were only created to 'serve' mankind. Don't you know that? Even the Pope explicitly said so, probably on his assumption that you don't have a soul (which he can't prove, however), whereas your torturers have one (which he can't prove either), since they're 'made in the image of God'. Some

And of course the chemistry boys keep repeating it too, the manufacturers of products that are poisoning the earth and killing people by the millions, the governments and politicians on their payroll, the faculty professors and presidents of universities, the mediamakers who earn a lush living not from reflecting public opinion but shaping it, and even heads of the big animal welfare societies like the RSPCA and WSPA and Eurogroup and HSUS et al who instead of widely advertising the evident, huge damage that accrues daily to mankind through its erroneous method of medical research, deliberately hide this fact in smokescreens of inane, philosophical babble - as the research community wants them to do, under the pretext that humanity has to be 'saved', and that only the sacrifice of you and your kind can do that.

Of course, stupid little kitten, by the time you are clamped down in one of the stereotaxic contraptions, you've probably come to the conclusion that humanity can't be all that it's cracked up to be, and darn right you are. In fact, man is the only animal capable of killing his own offspring because it disturbs him in his sleep. He is also the only male that beats the female, although some wags will argue that woman is the only female that deserves to be beaten. And man is the only animal that murders all known species including his own, far beyond the necessity of survival, relentlessly fouls, erodes and scars his habitat to the point of inability, and yet considers himself - just because he can spread more death and mayhem than all the others combined - the most intelligent of all species, and the only one that deserves to survive.

What do you expect from such a species, stupid little kitten? But maybe you just want to know why it's always your kind that is being used for the most painful, long-lasting experiments that exist. That's because it's your misfortune that you were born with an extremely sensitive nervous system, far more sensitive than that of your tormentors, but at the same time you are more resistant than most other animals are. That's why.

But don't cry out when it hurts, stupid. If you do, 'they' will cut your vocal cords, because 'they' are tender-hearted and can't stand animals' cries. In fact, many are not only great philanthropists, but also real animal lovers, who say that they suffer more than you do from the pains they have to inflict on you out of sheer philanthropy.

And now good-bye, stupid little kitten. May you be dead before the Christmas festivities begin, because in those days you risk to remain for days even without water, immobilised in your device. But don't count on it, because vivisectors like Prof. Konrad Akert, top dog at Zurich University, and Prof. W.D.M. Paton of Oxford - Sir William, knighted by her Gracious Majesty the Queen for his relentless work on cats' brains - and their colleagues have performed these experiments so incredibly often, with idiotic repetitiveness, that they have become quite proficient at prolonging the agony, even if not one of them has ever been able to name us a single patient they have cured of anything; whereas we can name any number of people who have been ruined for life, and even to death, by their obtuse, counterproductive method of pseudo-research.

But maybe you can get some kind of cold comfort from the following thought, poor little cat. Just think: from a stupid little head like yours, big men like Sir William Paton - a Professor at Oxford University, knighted by the Queen! - actually hope to find out some day what to do about their own defective brains and the big black hole in them, which worry them so much that brain experiments have become a lifelong obsession with them.

Now we must really leave you, poor little kitten. May you pass on quickly. It's really the only thing we can wish to you. Maybe we'll meet some day, in some other world, which can only be a better one."

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by *sprout*

thefragile77 i know how you feel i take meds to and i know they are tested on animals i feel ssoo bad but i cant not take them most of the time ! ugh i hate it so much

wud that be considered non-vegan ?
yea i know what you mean i am lucky enough to not need any medication at all

but in some cases if you don't take the medication you can't fight and end vivisection and animal testing for good

1 - 20 of 25 Posts