VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to being a vegetarian I started on Tuesday. But I want a list of some foods that have protein in them, I already know eggs do, but what else? I don't want to eat eggs everyday for the rest of my life.... Oh and don't recommend any type of nuts i'm deathly allergic!!!

xox G.J

·
an irregular
151 Posts
this was posted the other day, i honestly do not remember what thread it was under or i would just link it. luckily the image was too good not to save!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Beans and whole grains are good sources of protein in a plant-based diet. Mock meats, tofu, seitan, and other such products are also great sources of protein, but aren't required. Generally, though, if you are getting enough calories and eating a wide variety of different foods, you will be getting plenty of protein in your diet as a vegetarian. Virtually all foods contain some amount of protein.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
this was posted the other day, i honestly do not remember what thread it was under or i would just link it. luckily the image was too good not to save!

I think these percentages have already been challenged on VeggieBoard as being much too high, especially the veg. A quick googling supports that challenge.

lv

·
an irregular
151 Posts
i could see that, i may also play devil's advocate in saying, i think, atleast the chicken percentage is a little lower than actual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quinoa, beans, lentils. They also make a really awesome lentil pasta its by Tolerant Foods that has 21 grams of protein a serving, made out of ONLY lentils. Theres sooo many options, practically everything has protein in it.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
And there are so many beans to choose from...kidney beans, red beans, great northern white beans, navy beans, chickpeas, fava beans, adzuki beans, lima beans, peas, lentils (red, brown green), yellow and green split peas, pintos, and the list goes on. You can make dips for sandwiches with them, and add them to soups, in casseroles, even mash some white beans with mashed red potatoes for a high protein mashed potato. I love black beans with sweet potato, kale, and coconut. Or pintos refried and added to tacos. And veggie burgers! Beans are loaded with fiber, iron, calcium, and other minerals besides just protein, and they are low fat and low calorie too.

Some whole grains are high in protein such as oats, brown and wild rices, millet, quinoa, barley, bulgur wheat, buckwheat groats and so on. Happy shopping!

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
I think these percentages have already been challenged on VeggieBoard as being much too high, especially the veg. A quick googling supports that challenge.
On that chart kale is erroneously high according to USDA data, but those percentages are calculated as percent of calories so most are correct. Few people eat their own body weight in cabbage each week tho.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
On that chart kale is erroneously high according to USDA data, but those percentages are calculated as percent of calories so most are correct. Few people eat their own body weight in cabbage each week tho.
Thanks Auxin. I was just worried that people would look at the chart and misunderstand how much veggie stuff it was necessary to eat when comping the percentages with meat products. Of course if somebody is happy to eat their own body weight in cabbage, who am I to poo-poo them...? :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts