VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a website or a list with foods that contain gelatin?
I'm on my way to transitioning to a veg*n, and I think knowing what has gelatin in it would be helpful to me.

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Well, you'll have to read ingredient lists yourself, as I don't think there's any full lists since many things have gelatin. Mostly look out for things like candies for gelatin. Many gummy bears and gummy worms have gelatin, but Swedish Fish and Sour Patch Kids are some great candies that don't.

Frosted Pop-Tarts have gelatin in the frosting, but the unfrosted Pop-Tarts don't. They have unfrosted versions of basic flavors like strawberry, brown sugar cinnamon, and blueberry, and some just come unfrosted as part of the flavor, like the gingerbread Pop-Tarts. Frosted Mini-Wheats have gelatin in the frosting, but I believe Kashi makes an unfrosted version that is vegetarian, and maybe even vegan, though I've never had it myself.

Marshmallows also have gelatin, but you can purchase vegetarian marshmallows, and I've heard Dandies is the best brand. Marshmallow Creme has no gelatin, though, so you could always use that for things like homemade rice krispy treats as a cheaper, more available alternative to vegetarian marshmallows.

Lookout for gelatin in candy corn, too. I believe the Brach's candy corn has no gelatin, and it's usually the main brand sold at markets and Wal-Marts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks. In the ingredients list on foods, it will say gelatin if it has it, right? So I just have to search through the labels for gelatin or no gelatin?

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Yeah, gelatin is always listed if it's in food.
I think the only ingredient that might not be listed is rennet, because I think sometimes cheeses just say "enzymes" and don't specify rennet or not, but gelatin has no other hidden names.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Gelatin is also found in lots of vitamins too, so be aware of that. You can get special 'vegetarian' vitamins which don't contain animal products.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Gelatin is by far the sneakiest ingrediant!
Planters dry roasted peanuts have gelatin added (to help the salt stick, I think)
Many vitamins will be called vegetarian but still contain gelatin, just because the main ingrediant is veg instead of animal (like algeal dha-I found it in a gelatin cap)
It's used as a binder, coating, thickener.
many candies have it.

Never assume either way. Post Frosted wheats do not have it, nor do they have vitamin d at all, so they look pretty vegan. I quess you could argue the sugar.
There are packaged fruit jels made with locust bean gum, or agar. Aldis store brand is vegan!
Some products change. Junior mints at Xmas is gelatin free. Why only then?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Some low fat yogurts have gelatin. But yeah--it will say on the label.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewelambb10 View Post

a gelatin alias is "hydrolyzed animal protein"
and 'kosher gelatin" is from fish! I've heard people think it's veg.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
My lastest irritant was finding store brand algae DHA. In a gelatin capsule.
That was right after finding a bottle labeled vegetarian DHA capsules-that were fish oil filled.

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
Sometimes you can find gelatin with the secret name E441.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Some low fat yogurts have gelatin. But yeah--it will say on the label.
Yep... as well as some Greek yogurt dips. Helluva Good is one that does, but Oikos and my local store brand don't. I have learned to bring my glasses when I go grocery shopping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.