VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, pizza. Going back to the original recepie, which is without cheese you can make a pizza that is much more fresh and tasty than with either real or fake cheese on it. Just make sure all the ingridients are really fresh and don't skip the basil and olive oil, just before serving.

Pesto... just make a simple one with pine nuts, basil, olive oil and salt and you're right there in pasta heaven! Only make sure you make it while the pasta is being cooked and not the day before.

A great parmesan fake is pumkin seed and salt. Just grind the seeds to powder and add the salt, sprinkle over the pasta sauce.

I had my favorite cheese to have on my sandwhiches but none of them compare to either a great home made hummus or simply a little olive oil and salt to dip the bread in.

Coffee... just take care of the coffee and it won't be necessary to add anything. Just like the sugar is not needed if the coffee is great the milk or cream is not needed either and can in fact spoil the whole thing (he said sipping an espresso from home roasted beans).

There's a traditional swedish rice porridge that we mainly eat for Christmas, it's generally made with cow's milk but coconut milk makes it so much better. Even my mom prefers that taste to the old one and she's not even a vegetarian.

·
Registered
245 Posts
pasta! just with a nice fresh tomato sauce with seasonal veggies and a good quality olive oil! heaven! no need to cover everything up with truckloads of cheese.

I totally agree with the cheese-less pizza. I love it with grilled veggies on it.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Cupcakes! Pre-vegan baking, my cupcakes were reasonably good. They've gotten a heck of a lot better since I stopped using dairy & eggs.

Pasta is also a lot tastier without a mound of cheese dumped on top. And I love how pizza can seem like a semi-healthy meal when you load it up with veggies, whilst still tasting incredible.

Lattes taste sweeter with soy, which is nice

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I can't think of anything that tastes better without dairy, actually. (Unless I am talking about crappy cheese. Then just about everything tastes better without processed crap cheese. Good cheese, though? Nothing vegan comes CLOSE.)

Everything gets ethically better, though. And I feel better eating it, so I take greater pleasure in my food.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
i've lost my taste for cheese, i think since i'm not eating vegetable oils either. it's just a big glob of fat, like butter. i would think if you're eating concentrated oils then you probably wouldn't have that reaction.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Cupcakes! Pre-vegan baking, my cupcakes were reasonably good. They've gotten a heck of a lot better since I stopped using dairy & eggs.

Pasta is also a lot tastier without a mound of cheese dumped on top. And I love how pizza can seem like a semi-healthy meal when you load it up with veggies, whilst still tasting incredible.

Lattes taste sweeter with soy, which is nice
soymilk is disgusting. you know what they say. once you've had almond milk, you can never go back

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

soymilk is disgusting. you know what they say. once you've had almond milk, you can never go back
I love almond milk, but prefer the nutritional profile of soymilk. It's definitely an acquired taste, but I enjoy it now.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I swear you people were all using terrible, low-quality, horrible, no-good, nasty, poop-cheese. The things you are saying about it covering up flavors and such. That's like saying peanut butter was covering up the flavor of your chocolate. BLASPHEMY. Cheese and other foods taste amazing TOGETHER, often better than alone!

I obviously don't eat cheese anymore, but holy crap does GOOD cheese taste good.

I kind of wish I'd spent my life eating the kind of terrible cheese that ruins food, like you all obviously did. Maybe I wouldn't miss it so much now if I had.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I swear you people were all using terrible, low-quality, horrible, no-good, nasty, poop-cheese. The things you are saying about it covering up flavors and such. That's like saying peanut butter was covering up the flavor of your chocolate. BLASPHEMY. Cheese and other foods taste amazing TOGETHER, often better than alone!

I obviously don't eat cheese anymore, but holy crap does GOOD cheese taste good.

I kind of wish I'd spent my life eating the kind of terrible cheese that ruins food, like you all obviously did. Maybe I wouldn't miss it so much now if I had.
+1

Truly, I think most Americans have never eaten a good cheese. (And there are so many kinds, with so many sublime, diverse flavors.)

As for pizza and cheese - the ancient Roman version of pizza did have cheese. The modern Italian version has had cheese since at least 1889 - cheese is hardly a new American addition, although the plasticized version of cheese that most Americans are familiar with is certainly Americanized.

I prefer non dairy ice cream to dairy ice cream, but anything that formerly had good quality cheese in it is not quite as good without it. For example, I make a good pesto, but it's not as good as the pesto I used to make with freshly grated Parmesano.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Trust me, I've eaten good cheese. I just don't miss it. When I think now about what it really is, it completely grosses me out.

I truly don't notice a difference in flavor in my vegan pesto either. Even my omni husband didn't notice when I started making vegan pesto instead of the "regular" kind with fresh grated parm.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Cereal! Pesto! Oatmeal! Coffee (OMFG Soy Caramel Macciato Anyone, anyone at all?), CAKE!, Omg, Grilled cheese. I know, that's counter intuitive, but Daiya Grilled cheese > normal grilled cheese.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

I've never had almond milk, but I don't find soy disgusting. Not particularly keen on it straight out the carton, but heat it up and add some coffee or cocoa powder, and I adore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I think my problem with cheese is that it hurts me. I used to love the stuff, and I've had some damn good cheeses in my time. I just don't miss it because of what it does to my stomach.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
let's face it: cheese is a shameful addiction. i knew a guy who used to clean under his fingernails with a knife and eat it. he obviously thought it tasted good, but i could never get hooked on it.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I've never had almond milk
oh my god! (and i'm an athiest). get thee to the store immediately and buy a slice of heaven. you many wake up on your kitchen floor in three days with several empty cartons around you, so be forewarned. the stuff is so fabulous you'll never want any other kind of milk.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts