VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there food you find yourself unexpectedly liking after you've gone veg*n, food that you used to dislike as an omni?

For me it is Hummus. I tried it once a few years ago, didn't care for it at all. But last week I was at a salad bar and decided to get some. Wow, it was delicious!

What about you?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I hated tomatoes, believe it or not. Couldn't handle them unless they were pureed into oblivion, and cooked until their tomato-ness was totally turned to cooked-pureed-into-oblivion-smooth sauce.

Now I love them. ;-)

I also didn't like tofu, and now love it.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
(Hummus can vary widely from recipe to recipe. It's one of those things you have to give a second chance!)

For me - sounds weird - but CINNAMON!

I really used to not care for it at all, but since going vegan I've gotten to where I actually like it (in some but still not ALL recipes).

I think in this case, my tastes just matured or changed. I can't imagine how going vegan affected whether I'd like cinnamon or not.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used to dislike tomatoes and onions, would pick them out of everything. Now I love them! I am getting better about tofu too, I had to have it cooked in some yummy recipes before I enjoyed it. I also didn't like mushrooms until a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I didn't like mushrooms and they are still growing on me- it depends on how they are cooked and what kinds... but they make for a convenient meat-like sub so I'm trying to learn to like them.

Also tofu and pretty much all fake meat products, I would NEVER have eaten them, even early on in my vegetarianism.. but now they (esp tofu!!) are great.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Dark chocolate. I used to only like mild milk chocolate. Now I like dark chocolate, up to about 70% cocoa. After that it's still too bitter for me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Soy Milk.. I thought it tasted like pancake batter.

Now I love it.. I get major cravings for it.

Also.. beans in general.

I hated beans in chili and when I was an omni.. I would make meaty chilli. Now I like to have every bean under the sun in my food.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
squash - the only kind I would eat in my past life was the yellow, crookneck kind.

and dates.

and prunes - I mean, dried plums!

·
Banned
2,550 Posts
zucchini/squash

raw tomatoes

raw onions

tofu

asparagus

spinach

spicy foods

dates i think

most of these things are now my favorite foods....and the thing is, as an omni i wasn't THAT unhealthy. I just thought I didn't like certain veggies, but now I love them!

still detest mushrooms. I try so hard, but oh my god...every time I eat one i want to vomit. theyre sooooooo disgusting!!!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.