VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I introduced myself on the introduction boards. So I guess this is the place to ask for help for the severely domestically challenged.<br><br><br><br>
I bought some stuff this past Mon. when I decided "that's it, I'm going vegan."<br><br>
I have: pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, shell macaroni), loads of dry brown rice, cans of chick peas, one can of black beans, some dry beans (from the food bank. some white, some reddish. small. don't know what they are, as they're given in ziplock bags. lol), coconut milk, canned peas/green beans/corn, unbleached flour, brown sugar, a lil' couscous left over (made tabbouleh with it), 2 1/2 jars of PB left, and of course, most spices that most people keep on hand normally, including some Indian & Asian spices, and of course, the dried chillies.<br><br><br><br>
So, the thing is, WHAT can I do with all that? Besides curry? And I do think my own cooking makes me sick. I made a big batch of curry Tuesday, and eat a serving each day, with a serving of brown rice; microwaved. I'll eat it, but feel sick for hours later. I really suck at cooking. And I was looking through the "tips" thread and so, besides pasta & dried tomatoes or bean/lentil soups, what else could I make that's quick, and very, VERY easy to make? I'm seriously incompetant at cooking and also don't like to spend a lot of time fixing meals. Sometimes I really do need to grab something & go.<br><br><br><br>
As for personal tastes - I love super spicy stuff. NOTHING is too hot for me. I have yet to come across something that's too hot.<br><br>
And what I can't/won't eat: Spaghetti sauce makes me very very sick and I don't know why. And I absolutely hate garlic & onions. So outside of those few things, I just want some quick & easy vegan meal ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi there, Dear Silas, and congratulations on deciding to go veggie.<br><br><br><br>
My first thought is: Where are your fresh fruits & veggies? The best part of vegan/vegetarian eating is how you increase your intake of crunchy savory salads, yummy barely-steamed carrots and broccoli and sugar snap peas (confession: my sugar snaps never make it to the steamer, I usually eat them raw out of my grocery bag, on the subway home from shopping). Where's your steamed kale tossed with walnut oil and fresh grated nutmeg? If you don't like onions and garlic (gee, that's really strange to me, it's like somebody saying they hate chocolate!), there are lots of other ways to flavor cooked or raw vegetables.<br><br><br><br>
What veggies do you like raw? How about lightly steamed? Cooked through?<br><br><br><br>
Fruit is also an important part of any veggie diet. What fresh fruits do you like, and how/when do you like to eat them?<br><br><br><br>
Before I can suggest recipes and cooking techniques to you, I would like to know more about what you do and don't know/like about fresh vegetables and fruit. Keep posting!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Do you have any soy sauce? Since you have peanut butter, noodles and spices you could make noodles in peanut sauce. There are several good simple recipes online.<br><br><br><br>
You can make a big bean salad with all those beans, or throw them in a simple soup with some bread (you can even make it homemade if you want since you have flour).

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
If you're bad at cooking and don't have time, you could could try adding more raw foods to your diet. I'm sure the rawfoodies would love to encourage you in that direction.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i'm really bad at cooking and i really like spicy food so i make a bean chili regularly. its so simple.<br><br><br><br>
put a little oil in a pan<br><br>
{and add a chopped onion and a clove of crushed garlic} - i know you said you don't like these so i guess you could leave them out<br><br>
then add a chopped carrot and a chopped red pepper. leave to cook until the vegetables have softened (about 15 mins?) then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a finely chopped small red chili (its up to you if you want to leave the seeds in). then add a can of red kidney beans and leave to simmer for at least 5 mins but a long as you like really. serve with rice.<br><br>
there should be enough for 2 meals.<br><br><br><br>
i'm sure you could vary the ingredients sometimes like add sweetcorn or something but its really nice anyway.

11,550 Posts
if you have a blender (or a fork or potato masher and a bit of elbow grease) and some lemon juice, you could make hummous with your chickpeas- which is lush in a baked potato, watered down a bit used as a dressing over salad, mixed with mashed potato to make little fry-able patties, in a sandwich with veggies, or as a dip for veggie sticks (or anything else dippable). it does origionally contain garlic, but with food everything is optional, so leave it out and make it taste how you like it!<br><br><br><br>
um.... there should be recipes everywhere, but i'm lazy so i just do the quickest, easiest way i can make it taste ok for me. basically, i drain then throw the can of chickpeas in the blender, add juice of about 1/2 a lemon, i guess (more or less to taste) and a few tablespoons of water or vegetable oil -to stop the blender exploding and to thin it out a bit, some cumin (or whole cumin seeds) and whatever other spices i feel like adding. then press the blender button (or mush it up by hand) and voila- creamy tangy spicy dip stuff.<br><br><br><br>
you can add different spices and make it as hot as you want, and you could add all kinds of stuff once you've made it, if the taste isn't quite how you want it- shake spices on the top and stir it in.<br><br><br><br>
mmmmmmmmmmm hummous!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts