VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a microwave so thawing frozen foods is hard for me. I was wondering about beans, if I froze them in ziplock bags instead of containers if I could then do a boil-in-bag type thing to thaw them instead of leaving them in the fridge for a few days while they thaw. Has anyone done this and did it work? Also would this work as well with portions of rice that I freeze?

I have also been wanting to cut down the calories and fat of my peanut butter so I poured off the oil when I got it home from the store and mixed the whole jar with about five cups of canned pumpkin and I'm wondering how long this mixture might last in the fridge? The first half went fast cause it was a new taste so I had to over-eat it of course. But the bigger jar of it will probably last longer, so I'm wondering how long you think a mix like that might last in the fridge? And also any other peanut butter mixes that cut down the fat and calories that anyone has used?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
If they are in ziplock bags or something similar you can speed up the thawing but just dropping the whole bag in a saucer of hot water and leaving it for a couple of hours. Thawing them in the fridge overnight works fine too, just takes a lot longer. Freezing things in smaller bags would help too. Apparently you shouldn't defrost overnight at room temperature, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

I intend to try it with my next batch of beans, and also with rice. It would make my life a lot easier to thaw even a few hours in warm water than overnight (and the beans take about two days actually
) in the fridge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts