VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that pretty much every vegetarian there is has a minor issue or two with the food pyramid. It seems to promote certain foods over others, and rather than states what nutrients you need, it has a tendency to state certain foods which contain nutrients you need, giving little or no mention to the actual nutrients themselves. So I thought i could probably do it better. I've changed afew things, and mad eit a little more veg*n friendly, although it makes mention of animal sources of nutrition. I just copied an original food pyramid, but now the calcium guidelines are a little more sensible (800mg as opposed to 1000mg) and I decided that an emphasis on fruit & veg couldn't hurt either. I make no claims to actually know anything about nutrition. In fact, i know very little, but i don't thnk that following this is a surefire way to die of malnutrition. Tell me what you all think anyway!

Here is the food pyramid, Loki-style!
LL

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, i've added a food group as well!! I hope you all think it's a worthwhile addition to the food pyramid!!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
This has been downloaded 1 time(s).

- I´ll have to look at it more carefully.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Is it.....

Do I see......

No it can't be.......

omg! it is......

Arrrrrrgh!!!!!!

Get that yellow M away from me !

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a little more universal than the regular pyramid - Well, that's my intent. My argument with the original pyramid is that it focuses heavily on meat, milk and wheat, and rather then saying what we need, and sources of them, it does it the other way round, by telling us what to eat and what they contain.

And I've always said that the food pyramid needs a falafel group! So i put one in!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hey , where's the tofutti cutie group ....... man this is bogus! Obviously pressured by the huge international Falafal producers here ;-)

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got a fat check from the international falafel marketers! I'll consider insertin ga tofutti cutie group, if they're willing to send a fat check my way!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Loki, you´ll only have to make MAJOR changes. And please don´t forget to include vitamin Y, which is totally absent in falafel.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I love it! And I agree that the USDA's pyramid focuses way too much on eating certain foods instead of getting the nutrients that those and other foods provide. And why the hell do they bother calling the Protein Group the "Meat, Fish, Poultry, Nuts, Beans, and Eggs Group"?! They also don't get it that there are other foods with calcium besides dairy.

YAY falafel group!

Seriously, what's vitamin Y?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.