VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Barbecue in the Bay Area

If you spend too much time at certain backyard gatherings in San Francisco or across the bay in tofu-happy Berkeley you risk losing the sense of barbecue as a primal combination of meat and heat. At these forlorn affairs, where seitan frequently stands in for sirloin, the Pavlovian sizzle of searing flesh is often replaced by the sorry sight of Not Dogs warming on the Weber.

Every now and then, a vegetarian, tagging along with friends, makes it to our table. We treat them not as outcasts but as curiosities: anthropological subjects, targets of our patronizing inquiry.

Its all good fun. But part of me worries that one day, some day, the relationship will work the other way around, that these non-carnivores, these members of an odd, benighted civilization, will outrank us around the outdoor grill. That fear swelled within me not long ago, as I strolled the Mission District. Wandering 16th street, amid the mouth-watering aromas of slow-roasted birria and grilled chorizo, I peeked over the counter of a tacqueria and saw squares of tofu simmering in a fire-red sauce. I thought to myself...Como se dice en Ingles? Ah, si. There goes the neighborhood.
http://livetastefully.msn.com/Articl....aspx&GT1=8734

What a prick.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Let's be clear: vegetarianism may have its virtues, but soy products with grill marks fail to qualify as barbecue, regardless of what form they're in. What does qualify, of course, amounts to a sprawling category of cuisine, one not limited to red-blooded, pick-up driving, patriotic cookouts
(Bold is mine.)

Patriotic? WTF?

This guy is a jackass. A ****ing jackass.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
At these forlorn affairs, where seitan frequently stands in for sirloin, the Pavlovian sizzle of searing flesh is often replaced by the sorry sight of Not Dogs warming on the Weber.
That guy's way too verbose or confident in his style or whatever.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Where's this dude's e-mail address? If you're going to write an article in which you are so ignorant and arragant to insinuate that vegetarians are somehow Un-American, you should at least have the balls to put your e-mail address up!

And I do agree that this piece of writing is both painfully verbose and pompous.

·
Registered
219 Posts
This guy is a food critic? Well he seems to be emphasizing the critic part, doesn't he?

I'm still convinced that the mass majority of people like this guy who blasphemize vegetarian cusine have not even given it a chance! I've had grilled eggplant, portabellos, tempeh, and numerous other yummy tofu dishes that blow meat away with their flavor and versatility, and I've had meat eaters at the table with me who agree! I am convinced that if we (vegetarians) can just prove how much better veggies are in taste, not to mention health and cost, then we can help desenigrate this ignorance! We just have to all learn how to be great cooks! heh.

man, that was a hopeful rant.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I think underneath his rant there is some underlying guilt about the flesh he's eating !

Looking on the bright side, it is kinda cool that veg*ns are becoming so prominant that they are scaring the die hard carnis

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
HA! I read this 'article' yestersday after checking my email on MSN. I was even thinking of posting it but forgot to.

They are getting scared folks... veggies are going to take over the world, one grill at a time.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Poor guy. It must be awful trying to be cute and clever with all those prions eating away at his brain...

Mad moo claims yet another victim.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wow, that article seemed so ignorant. It's like saying.. "I'm cooler than you because..." Because you eat meat? umm whatever...

Someone is trying too hard.. thats for sure. o_O

1 - 20 of 33 Posts