VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I decided to become a vegetarian and while I don't regret the choice [it's actually made me a lot happier] I'm afraid that I'll have a hard time maintaining it. My family doesn't exactly approve of any sort of alternative approach to things including the idea of not eating meat or anything containing animal products. My mother is very into the simple meals which aren't healthy but they're easy to prepare. I'm probably going to end up learning how to cook for myself and I'll probably have to shop for myself, which should be an adventure. My first big concern is my school lunch because today, like most days, everything was based on meat. The only choices were popcorn chicken, chicken nuggets, hamburgers and mashed potatoes with gravy. I noticed you had a great thread going about lunch but I'm not sure if I could make some of the things and I'm not exactly sure what some things are either. Are there any simple foods or meals that I could prepare for my lunch [or anything else], hopefully some involving foods that I might have in my pantry somewhere.

Thanks for the help =]

Maya

·
Registered
787 Posts
Keelin to the rescue! Easy lunch ideas?

- Peanut butter and jam/banana sandwich

- Black bean dip (1 can of black beans + 1 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp each garlic and cumin or to taste) or hummus with tomato, cucumber, salad etc in a sandwich

- Baked beans and tomato on toast

- Hardboiled egg, egg salad sandwich or scrambled eggs with salsa and veggies in a wrap

- Grilled cheese sandwich or quesadilla

- Refried beans, salsa, tomato and lettuce in a wrap

- Hummus and veggies in a wrap or pita

- Salad with lots of vegetables, chickpeas and nuts

- Trail mix

- Yogurt

- Fruit smoothies

- Fruit and vegetables

- Baked goods, if you know how to bake (muffins, bread, scones, biscuits, etc.)

And so on. None of those options are hard to prepare, they're all made with easy ingredients that you can pick up with no trouble or likely already have around the house, and it'd be easy to describe preparation if you need any help
I'm sure others will have a bunch of ideas to add, too.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just for an example... today I had baked beans and tomato on toast, a satsuma, a handful of snap peas, a strawberry soy yogurt, and soymilk. Tomorrow I'm planning to have a soy sausage, tomato and salad on a wholemeal roll, a yogurt or cereal bar, a pear or satsuma, some baby carrots, and soymilk. A very standard day is peanut butter and jam or bean dip, tomato and salad on wholemeal bread, yogurt or a fruit scone, a fruit, some sort of vegetable, and a bottle of soymilk, smoothie, fruit juice or yogurt drink. Nothing too weird, I don't think.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayabrave View Post

Recently I decided to become a vegetarian and while I don't regret the choice [it's actually made me a lot happier] I'm afraid that I'll have a hard time maintaining it. My family doesn't exactly approve of any sort of alternative approach to things including the idea of not eating meat or anything containing animal products. My mother is very into the simple meals which aren't healthy but they're easy to prepare. I'm probably going to end up learning how to cook for myself and I'll probably have to shop for myself, which should be an adventure. My first big concern is my school lunch because today, like most days, everything was based on meat. The only choices were popcorn chicken, chicken nuggets, hamburgers and mashed potatoes with gravy. I noticed you had a great thread going about lunch but I'm not sure if I could make some of the things and I'm not exactly sure what some things are either. Are there any simple foods or meals that I could prepare for my lunch [or anything else], hopefully some involving foods that I might have in my pantry somewhere.

Thanks for the help =]

Maya
Hi, Maya!
Hang in there!!

Keelin has a LOT of great ideas. You could also check out Michelle's blog (she's misq17 on VB) at http://theflyingvegan.blogspot.com. She has daily school lunches and pictures! (You may have to scroll down a little and click on the archives on the right.)

Also, this may be a cool book to check out: http://www.amazon.com/Students-Go-Ve.../dp/0307336530 You can find similar recipes out there on the Internet if you do some searching.

I like to snack on nuts and seeds - they are easy to pack up in little containers or zip lock bags. They are a good source of fat and protein. Other favorites of mine that would be good to pack along in school lunches: baby carrots, celery, apples, bananas, CLIF bars or other healthy bars, granola, graham crackers, etc...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I usually take peanut butter and jelly/hummus sandwiches. Hummus is easy to make at home, but if you're not up to it you can buy some at the health food store. My favorite brand is Cedar's. Another easy sandwich is some chopped up veggies paired with hummus or some other spread.

Grapes are a nice side dish, as are nuts. Baby carrots are also good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm really interested in trying everything that's been mention. It all seems so easy to manage. The only problem I'm having so far is with hummus..I have no clue what it is =/ Also, I've heard something about my schools using soy as a subsitute for meat [to save money or something like that]. I'm not very up-to-date with soy so I'm not sure if it is safe to eat or if it is still made from meat.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayabrave View Post

First of all, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm really interested in trying everything that's been mention. It all seems so easy to manage. The only problem I'm having so far is with hummus..I have no clue what it is =/ Also, I've heard something about my schools using soy as a subsitute for meat [to save money or something like that]. I'm not very up-to-date with soy so I'm not sure if it is safe to eat or if it is still made from meat.
You're welcome! Hummus is made from chickpeas, and frankly I don't like it.
Many people do, though, so give it a try!! It's just like a dip/spread, basically.

Soy is safe to eat, and it isn't made from animals. Sometimes soy products have milk or eggs, though. Soy can be used to make yummy veggie dogs, veggie burgers, and other products. They are a good "substitute" for animal products and make the transition a lot easier for some people! If they have them at your school, I'd try them out and see how they taste.

·
Registered
787 Posts
^ As far as rumours about meat actually being "soy" to save money, though, often it's partially true- there is a large amount of soy protein as filler- but if it's advertised as meat, there will be some amount of meat in it. If it's advertised as a soy/vegetarian product, then by all means go for it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I pretty much would recommend the same things as everyone else. I've only been a vegetarian for a few days, but I have been eating healthy and cooking all of my meals for over 6 months. I really love it. I didn't think I would, but I just started experimenting with things and I loved creating something that was healthy and tasted good.

For my lunch today I brought trail mix (soy nuts, sunflower seeds, raisins), 1/2 apple w/ almond butter, 1/2 a luna bar, and some avocado sushi (avocado and rice only). Tomorrow I'm taking a peanut butter and jam sandwich, 1/2 luna bar, grapes, and some corn chips.

Good Luck :]

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
everyone's given great advice!

there are a lot of simple veg*n foods you can make to eat at home. Will you be keeping eggs and dairy in your diet? Knowing this might help us to advise you better.

Can you cook at all? Most plain pasta sauces will be meat-free, and pasta and sauce is a very simple meal to cook. If you can get ahold of veg throw that into the sauce, it's good for you! If your mom is cooking meat-and-two-veg type of meals, go shopping with her and pick up some vegetarian products like veggieburgers, veggie sausages, etc. You can just cook them seperately and eat the veg she makes.

·
Registered
531 Posts
oh hummus! I tried it, and it took about 2 oz of my 4 oz container (I abhor wasting food) before I stopped being repulsed by the texture and found that it's an amazing food... now, i've gone through about 5 different flavors (and about three brands) and i'm yet to find one I don't like, though the roasted red peppers are my current favorite

anyways, like mentioned before, it's a chickpea bean spread with tahini (sesame seed butter I think...) usually some garlic and lemon juice too.

Where do you find it? in the deli section. In my grocery store (just a regular shop 'n save if that's near you), it's in the big refrigerator stand-alone case filled with cheese, or with pre-made hoagies, that type of thing. If you just look around in that area, your sure to come across some hummus

I strongly suggest trying a couple of flavors before you completely rule it out, too!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelin View Post

Just for an example... today I had baked beans and tomato on toast, a satsuma, a handful of snap peas, a strawberry soy yogurt, and soymilk. Tomorrow I'm planning to have a soy sausage, tomato and salad on a wholemeal roll, a yogurt or cereal bar, a pear or satsuma, some baby carrots, and soymilk. A very standard day is peanut butter and jam or bean dip, tomato and salad on wholemeal bread, yogurt or a fruit scone, a fruit, some sort of vegetable, and a bottle of soymilk, smoothie, fruit juice or yogurt drink. Nothing too weird, I don't think.
Wow, that really made me hungry! Im gonna make myself a smoothie now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.