VeggieBoards banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

I treat my babies pretty well though... I wish I could find one of those floor balls big enough for them however... Gary could use a good run!
Can't you let them out of their cage at all?

My boys get to come out and play/exercise for 2 or 3 hours a night (though nowadays they spend most of that time asleep in the drawer under the bed!).

It's tricky as we've got cats too, so they can only come out in the bedroom. They love it though - as they're in their cage for the rest of the day (though it's huge) I think their free range time probably keeps them sane!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
No, rats are naturally omnivores. There is obviously an optimum diet though, as there is for humans and eating junk and high fat stuff is no better for them that it is for us.

I feed mine a commercial, balanced rat food, plus a bowl of fresh food in the evenings - fruit, veggies, pasta, rice, bread etc. They also get a little bit of catfood sometimes, or my partner's chicken bones.

And yes - they definitely go to the vet! Touch wood, we haven't been for several months, but they are without doubt the most expensive pet I've ever kept when it comes to vet bills etc.

Of course, they're worth it though!

·
Registered
0 Posts
"I think it is very sad and I would never keep a snake, either.

There is a scene in Roger and Me...with a bunny. I will never forget the look of absolute fear on the bunny's face as it realized it is about to be eaten by a snake"

i watched roger and me in a class that was taught by my advisor and when it got to the bunny part, he covered my eyes. hahaha

·
Registered
499 Posts
Kpickell- your comment, perhaps a joke is a shocking thing to see someone who is veg*n say. I would hope to avoid that here. That is the sort of comment that my M-I-L and B-I-L make, and it angers me greatly as a cat lover, in turn I hold contempt for them. I don't care if it's being too "PC" or what not, those sorts of jokes are unsettling & cross the line (like jokes about incest & rape).

As for snakes, my S-I-L owns ball pythons as well (wow, I'm covering all the in-laws here, lol) and I'd have to agree with Epinepherine. I see nothing beneficial about keeping reptiles, except some sort of "I'm cool" stigma, but along with leather jackets and going hunting, it's quite uncool to me. My S-I-L got a nasty bite on her hand once from one of her feeder rats, picture us absolutely amused and high fiving in the rats memory. It's absurd to imagine feeding a pet live animals & all for some slithering creature that you keep in a cage, one that has a history of strangling kids and eating other pets, doesn't purposefully lick you or curl up in your lap. She supposedly thought it was "really sad" that she "had to" feed her snake live animals, so sad that she'd warn us not to look in the cage because there was a cowering mouse in the corner, so sad that when the snake got out, hid & subsequently died, she didn't think "oh, great I don't have to kill/buy mice anymore", instead she got another one. YUCK.

And before it's even asked, no it is not the same to go out and buy high quality pet food for your carnivore companion animal. For one, as long as people aren't kicking out their omni (who can switch much easier than animals that instinctively hunt in the wild like cats & dogs) relatives.. I wont hear that arguement
. In this case involving the middle man makes a huge difference. Just like (even less in the case of pouring a bag or popping open a can of pet food) the veg*ns on this board who cook meat for their spouse, while that is gross to some of us, I don't think they're awful for it. But I wouldn't want to talk to them at all if they slaughtered animals directly to feed their family, this just isn't one of those black & white issues.

-The anti-snake

21 - 27 of 27 Posts