VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I stopped by the new pet store near my house to get feeder mice for my ball python, James Dean. There was a lady with 3 kids in there, too. She saw them putting mice in a box for me and asked if I had a snake. I said yes, and she made a sad little face. I said, "Hey, at least they aren't on a factory farm!" That was an annoying thing to say, wasn't it? I try not to be an annoying, holier-than-thou animal rights advocate, but sometimes I can't help myself. It just galls me that a lot of people are of a mind to think nothing of eating dead animals for dinner, but get all misty-eyed when they see me buying mice to feed my snake. Food chain, people. I'm just sayin'.

Anyone else have an encounter like this? Anyone else have a snake? Just wondering. (I apologize if a similar thread is repeated somewhere else.)

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I see all these sides to the argument. We've had this snake since the first year we got married (12 years ago). From what I've learned, I won't have another one. I'm damn sure going to take care of the one I have, though. He's family.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't feed James rats for that reason (safety). The rats would (naturally) bite him. I feed him adult mice. I'll feed him what he needs for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I personally would never get snake food that way. (It would be scary to adopt out from an ad for any animal!) Like I said, we got him 12 years ago. They have personalities just like mammals do, somehwhat. And of course there's the "cool" factor. As someone said before, luckily I've taken good care of him as others aren't so lucky. I imagine like bunnies after easter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts