VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

Not to mention cheaper, kpickell.

I have three rats... 2 of them were feeders that I got at a pet store. I can't imagine delibrately feeding my babies to a snake.

This subject hits home pretty heavily. My babies are precious.
Ooooooooooh I'm totally with you on this. I've got three Rat Boys too - Badger, Roger and Fly. I'm besotted by them. However sound an argument someone could offer, the thought of feeding rats or mice to a snake makes me shiver (nor would I risk feeding a live rat to a snake either, for the snake's sake).

I just can't get into these debates.

Btw, your boys are beautiful!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

I treat my babies pretty well though... I wish I could find one of those floor balls big enough for them however... Gary could use a good run!
Can't you let them out of their cage at all?

My boys get to come out and play/exercise for 2 or 3 hours a night (though nowadays they spend most of that time asleep in the drawer under the bed!).

It's tricky as we've got cats too, so they can only come out in the bedroom. They love it though - as they're in their cage for the rest of the day (though it's huge) I think their free range time probably keeps them sane!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
No, rats are naturally omnivores. There is obviously an optimum diet though, as there is for humans and eating junk and high fat stuff is no better for them that it is for us.

I feed mine a commercial, balanced rat food, plus a bowl of fresh food in the evenings - fruit, veggies, pasta, rice, bread etc. They also get a little bit of catfood sometimes, or my partner's chicken bones.

And yes - they definitely go to the vet! Touch wood, we haven't been for several months, but they are without doubt the most expensive pet I've ever kept when it comes to vet bills etc.

Of course, they're worth it though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts