VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I stopped by the new pet store near my house to get feeder mice for my ball python, James Dean. There was a lady with 3 kids in there, too. She saw them putting mice in a box for me and asked if I had a snake. I said yes, and she made a sad little face. I said, "Hey, at least they aren't on a factory farm!" That was an annoying thing to say, wasn't it? I try not to be an annoying, holier-than-thou animal rights advocate, but sometimes I can't help myself. It just galls me that a lot of people are of a mind to think nothing of eating dead animals for dinner, but get all misty-eyed when they see me buying mice to feed my snake. Food chain, people. I'm just sayin'.

Anyone else have an encounter like this? Anyone else have a snake? Just wondering. (I apologize if a similar thread is repeated somewhere else.)

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I know I have 2 balls. Sometimes I do get nasty looks from people in stores when I but food. I also get asked how I could be a veg and feed animals to my snakes. I explain "I love my snakes. They have to eat. They are naturaly carnivors. So that is what I feed them"

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's sad. I understand that the snakes must eat, but putting the mice in there where they have no chance of escape like they would say, if they'd been in the wild, seems a little disturbing to me. For that reason I would never keep a snake. But, ones that are already domesticated have to eat.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

It's sad. I understand that the snakes must eat, but putting the mice in there where they have no chance of escape like they would say, if they'd been in the wild, seems a little disturbing to me. For that reason I would never keep a snake. But, ones that are already domesticated have to eat.
That's what I was thinking - in nature everything is 'game' but these mice are bred and sold for that purpose and I'm sorry but I can't see the difference between buying meat for you to eat and buying mice for the snake. If you didn't have the snake you wouldn't have to feed it. In nature the snake would probably be eating whatever it could - which includes larger prey - which I would assume means they don't eat as often?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think it is very sad and I would never keep a snake, either.

There is a scene in Roger and Me...with a bunny. I will never forget the look of absolute fear on the bunny's face as it realized it is about to be eaten by a snake.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'll never forget the look of horror I had on MY face when I was crashing through some brush and got tangled in a "briar", only to glance back and see that I was dragging along a 4 ft. copperhead that had latched onto my jeans and was doing his damndest to kill me. Unfortunately for him it didn't work out as he had planned . . .

I would never live with a snake. The only thing I would ever feed one is a load of shot. I try to be more understanding and attune to nature when I encounter one in the wild but if they get aggressive, it's lights out time . . . .

I know this is just prejudice that is likely based on fear. That doesn't change my reaction though . . . .

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
This reminds me of the pet food store near here..... I just found out the other day they sell frozen mice in plastic containers. Some have hairs, others have none and are pink (they look close to new born).

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Not to mention cheaper, kpickell.

I have three rats... 2 of them were feeders that I got at a pet store. I can't imagine delibrately feeding my babies to a snake.

This subject hits home pretty heavily. My babies are precious.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I see all these sides to the argument. We've had this snake since the first year we got married (12 years ago). From what I've learned, I won't have another one. I'm damn sure going to take care of the one I have, though. He's family.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

Not to mention cheaper, kpickell.

I have three rats... 2 of them were feeders that I got at a pet store. I can't imagine delibrately feeding my babies to a snake.

This subject hits home pretty heavily. My babies are precious.
Ooooooooooh I'm totally with you on this. I've got three Rat Boys too - Badger, Roger and Fly. I'm besotted by them. However sound an argument someone could offer, the thought of feeding rats or mice to a snake makes me shiver (nor would I risk feeding a live rat to a snake either, for the snake's sake).

I just can't get into these debates.

Btw, your boys are beautiful!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
As long as you don't feed him rats, I'm fine with that.

But really, it only makes sense to keep feeding him until he's gone. And I applaud you for saying that you don't plan on getting another snake.

Just last year, I planned on never having an animal again, but these rats were so cute.

I treat my babies pretty well though... I wish I could find one of those floor balls big enough for them however... Gary could use a good run!

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I personally would never get snake food that way. (It would be scary to adopt out from an ad for any animal!) Like I said, we got him 12 years ago. They have personalities just like mammals do, somehwhat. And of course there's the "cool" factor. As someone said before, luckily I've taken good care of him as others aren't so lucky. I imagine like bunnies after easter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.