VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have been lurking for quite a while and have made the decision to go RAW! I have read almost all the previous posts and you all have a wealth of knowledge.

My question is, how has your food bill changed since going raw? Has it increased or decreased?

Also, is Honey raw? I see some refer to it and didn't think it was raw.

Thanks,

Phats

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
hey, phats! welcome to vb!

as far as honey, it -can- be raw. usually it's from the local bee keepers. the commercial stuff tends to not be raw. honey is not vegan, however. and most raw foodists are vegans.

with the cost - it really, really varies. since i don't eat meat or other animals products my bill has gone down in that regard. it also depends on where you get your produce/staples from: grocery store, farmers market, if you grow your own. some people buy in bulk (mostly the staple stuff like seasonings, nuts). it also depends on if you buy mostly organic or just a little bit organic.

i do know that in the beginning people tend to spend more - on appliances, special foods like the staples and things to help get started. plus in the beginning a lot of people want to try out all kinds of recipes and heavier ones, too, to get that heavy/full feeling. i think the longer you are raw the less you'll spend.

i know some people who grow their own herbs and that helps with the cost a lot. you can also go by stores on the day they get their produce in and you may be able to get some free food. a lot of times they won't put the bruised items out, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I spend about $30/week on fruits and veggies. I buy nuts and seeds in bulk and it is pretty pricy, but then again I don't eat a whole bunch of those either becasue they are so calorie dense (yes, I pay attention to calories). I spent about $60 about 3 weeks ago on nuts/seeds, but haven't had to restock yet, and won't for hte foreseeable future. I probably bought more than I need and the nuts may actually go bad before I run out.

As for how this compares to before, it is more expensive. This is mostly because I don't cook with grains, legumes and starches anymore. These foods are very cheap in bulk and go a loooooong way per dollar.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
i also wanted to add that it's better to make more trips during the week than one or two big ones. oftentimes fresh produce will end up going bad before you can use it and that'll add quite a bit to your expense, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Although I'm not completely raw, I have noticed I spend more on food than when I was a vegetarian. Produce is expensive! Since you'll be eating so much of it I suggest buying bulk produce (I go to Sam's) I get 4lbs of plums for $3.88, and about 10 grapefruits for 5 dollars, which is a great price compared to super markets.

If you know its not something that will NOT be consumed quickly, then a regular super market will be fine, that's where I usually buy the produce I eat less often, like green onions and sweet potatoes.

Some honey is raw, but I'm a vegan so I can't really give you much advice on how to find it! Look in a health food store, that's your best bet.

Also, I suggest keeping track of your receipts for a month, see where your money is going, if you're buying any "junk" food or if there's anything that is simply going to waste. You can plan your purchases better that way, and don't forget to write your grocery list so you acutally buy what you need and not out of impulse.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Oh, yeah, boy did it go up!
The processed crappy food is always cheaper than the fresh, organic quality stuff!

Plus, raw foodies are a small group in America. It is like a "specialty" area that is now catching on. Like vegetarian speciality food wasn't always readily available and now it is. And it is getting cheaper too.

Also, a cooked meal fills you up faster than a raw one. So, I sometimes need to eat more. So, I do more shopping.

I would say I spend around 100$ bi-weekly (this is for two people). I try to stretch it out. If I buy raw cacao or online or other specialty stuff, I spend more.

I feel bad about how much I spend but I have come to terms with it - I am a foodie and I can't help it and I don't look at the prices anymore and I just throw it in my basket and than have a heartattack at the checkout!

I am becoming better at not buying stuff I don't need. But I will spend a couple extra cents to buy the organic, fair trade than save a few measley pennies.

One thing I am bad at is that when I go to potluck I go overboard. I spend alot and bring something really nice (lot of time more than one dish). HA HA! I have to tone that down because that gets expensive. (Go to a potluck with me and you eat very well!
)

One thing I do is I go to the places that has the cheapest organic first (here it is Trader Joes). What I can't get there than I go to the local coop natural foods store and buy the rest of my stuff there which is a little more expensive but not bad. Whole Foods is a last option if I can't find something else I need. If I can get it cheaper online and it can be shipped, than I do that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for posting. You are all a wealth of info! I just went to the grocery store and spent about $60.00. I think I went a bit overboard and bought more than I can eat before it goes bad. But, it's a learning process and I'll get the hang of it. The thing I worry about is running out of raw food and being hungry and eating something I don't want to eat. I guess that goes along with the level of committment too.

Thanks again! I feel lucky to find this board.

Phats

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there,

I save a lot of money by shopping at produce stores, produce stands and asian and other ethnic markets. They are much cheaper than grocery stores. I do keep my eye open for good sales on produce at the grocery stores and then stock up.

Bananas are often the base of my diet, they are super cheap, available everywhere, very nutritious, delicious and filling.

It is very possible to do all raw on a budget.

Wishing you all the best!!

Audrey

www.rawhealing.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts