VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone a fan of this form of music? The best way I can describe it is a revival of American folk music with some punk influence in either sound or ethics (DIY). Some of my personal favorite bands are Ghost Mice, This Bike is a Pipe Bomb, Defiance,Ohio, Saw Wheel, Rumbleseat and even (early) Against Me!.

You could also include Riot Folk and anarchist folk artists if you want.

I can't imagine I'm the only one here who likes poorly recorded political/personal folk music, now am I?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuko View Post

You're not the only one *waves*
Glad I'm not. Have you seen any live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

allmusic.com lists some of those bands as folk-rock and punk revival. I guess this is a pretty new genre. Where can I hear some?
Defiance, Ohio puts up all of their music for free on their website.

The Riot Folk ensemble also put up all their music for free, though their music is more traditional folk rather than folk-punk. But hey, free music.

You could also find a song by Ghost Mice, This Bike is a Pipe Bomb and a bunch of other non-folk-punk related but just as good bands on the Plan-it-X Records website.

I'd put the sites up but apparently I'm such a newbie I'm not able to.
I guess just go to google and type in "Defiance, Ohio", "Riot Folk" and "Plan it X" to get to the sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

I like old Against Me! and does Gogol Bordello count? They're like gypsy-folky...
I never really considered Gogol Bordello strictly folk-punk. I usually refer to them as being gypsy-punk but that's just me being picky, they're close enough. Have you heard of World/Inferno Friendship Society? They're less Eastern European folk and have more of a cabaret/carnival sound to them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hey, would you count the Violent Femmes? I'm thinking no, but they play acoustic and are definitely punk influenced. (btw when I say violent femmes, I'm basically only talking about their first album, because that's all I listen too by them.) I'm downloading some Defiance Ohio right now, it's great stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicIggy View Post

hey, would you count the Violent Femmes? I'm thinking no, but they play acoustic and are definitely punk influenced. (btw when I say violent femmes, I'm basically only talking about their first album, because that's all I listen too by them.) I'm downloading some Defiance Ohio right now, it's great stuff.
I don't really think that they're folk-punk. Violent Femmes always seemed more Lou Reed than Woody Guthrie to me, though it's totally debatable whether they could be or not. They're kind of a hard band to pigeonhole anyway. They have a pretty heavy Buzzcocks-esque punk influence but I'm not sure if they're folk influenced enough to be called folk-punk, but you wouldn't really be wrong. Against Me! aren't very folk influenced (especially their recent stuff) and are probably one of the most well known folk-punk bands.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredge View Post

Glad I'm not. Have you seen any live?
Eh, a local band. Oh, and Mischief Brew. That was awesome. And if you'd include the Mountain Goats in this genre (I would, but I suck at genre-ing), then.. yeah, them too. I'd love to see Defiance, Ohio

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuko View Post

Eh, a local band. Oh, and Mischief Brew. That was awesome. And if you'd include the Mountain Goats in this genre (I would, but I suck at genre-ing), then.. yeah, them too. I'd love to see Defiance, Ohio
I want to see Mischief Brew badly. I haven't even heard of the Mountain Goats until this point. I saw Defiance, Ohio in a basement show with a friend of mine who's going to a college in that area. The persons who lived in the house was also going to be teaching my friends physics class, she was cute too. Needless to say I was a bit jealous; his college has a lot of good shows in the area. It was an amazing show, definitely go see them if they're in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofitall View Post

Just a quick haha.My mom (who is 63) came in singing defiance ohio the other day much to my sons amazement!
That's pretty awesome. I've been trying to get my dad into TBIAPB, I haven't even considered my grandmother. She might take to it more than my dad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.