VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Living with a strict, grumpy mother who isn't a "people person" at all, I never really celebrated holidays or went out around the time so I never heard that stuff like that happened. Coloring baby animals furs just because it's "cute" is stupid and selfish.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never heard of it, either, but now that it's legal, I'm sure some morons will do it.

--Fromper

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dye my dog sometimes, but she is a family member and not a gift that will be abandoned at a shelter 3 months later. She loves the attention the dying gets her and its safe.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
My mother got a pink chick one year for Easter - probably around 1942. It's hard to believe that people are still doing this.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

It's not the dyeing part that bothers me, it's people getting animals for holidays and not caring for them properly
Exactly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

It's not the dyeing part that bothers me, it's people getting animals for holidays and not caring for them properly
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I said it was selfish.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

You just know, no doubt about it, that a vast majority of them will be dumped at a park or the forest or the side of the road within a couple months. Possibly even sooner when the dye wears off or the birds grow into their feathers.

Also, somewhat related:
No doubt. Just like all the little chicks they will be selling at lawn and garden stores for Easter time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Here's a link to email the governor of Florida and let him know what you think: http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-sco...-the-governor/
Thanks.

Is the dye even safe for them? How can it be safe to breath in all those chemicals when they are getting dyed? What about when they lick themselves? It disgusts me how people see animals as toys or accessories.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What is this I don't even... oh. Oh! Dying. Well alright then. I certainly never knew it was illegal in places to colour critters. I did make a green dog once, but it wasn't all that great. It acted just like the yellow dog and didn't even seem to be more efficient.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I know there is dye that is used on dogs at salons, which is supposed to be safe. (It's food-grade, I think, but who know if that stuff is truly "safe.")
However, rabbits are very different than dogs. Rabbits don't normally need baths, and do not like being wet- it stresses them out. Dying them, especially babies, can be extremely traumatic for them. (I assume this is also traumatic for chicks.) Pictures I've seen of dyed rabbits show the entire body dyed, including the face area, so I guess they are dipped in the dye, or possibly sprayed. In either case, it looks like their eye/nose area isn't protected at all.
How horrible.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
This is really gross, so don't read it if you're sensitive to cruelty stories.

In 5th grade, our teacher brought in an incubator and fertile chicken eggs, and had students inject the eggs with a few drops of food coloring. They held them up to a flashlight and stabbed the eggs with a hypodermic needle and syringe.
About 3/4 of the eggs hatched, and the new chicks were dyed easter colors. We had built a pen in the classroom and kept them there for a few weeks. They grew fast and the adult feathers came in the regular chicken color. Then they gave the chicks to a "farm."

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
We had colored chicks for Easter when I was a kid back in the 50's. I'm sure ours were the exception since they went to live at my grandparents with the other hens when they grew older. Our hen, Spot lived a long and happy life,but I'm not so sure about the rest. The babies usually become ill and die because of improper care or wind up dumped somewhere. Sad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts