VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UGH!!

Quote:
Horrendous stuff here: Florida state senator Jim Norman has submitted a bill that would make it a first-degree felony to photograph any farm without the owners permission. If this were to pass, the sorts of high-profile undercover cruelty investigations carried out by Mercy For Animals and other nonprofits would become illegal in the state.
Read the rest of the article here

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hopefully that fits into the animal enterprise terrorism act. Eventually any form of protest will be considered terrorism
We're growing up in the wrong age. Caring people don't fit into the world anymore.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Strangely enough I sort of see this as a positive thing. It shows how powerful activism can be, a bill like this wouldn't need to be written if undercover videos weren't a very effective way to change peoples minds about cruel farming practices. The people involved know what they're doing is inhumane and would upset any decent person, why else go to all the trouble to try to hide it? They've seen the public outcry that occurs and the 'damage' it can do to the way they do business.

Besides, this bill was just submitted it isn't like there's any danger of it passing. People submit crazy bills all the time that never have a chance of going through, the most recent example that comes to mind is that guy who wanted to have Uterus Police to investigate miscarriages.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

Hopefully that fits into the animal enterprise terrorism act. Eventually any form of protest will be considered terrorism
We're growing up in the wrong age. Caring people don't fit into the world anymore.
I don't believe that, this sort of backlash happens because people care and are going out and trying to change things.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I don't believe that, this sort of backlash happens because people care and are going out and trying to change things.
But this is their form of shutting people up. Now you could potentially do time in prison for trying to make public with the atrocities that go on behind slaughterhouse walls? I don't know about anyone else, but these videos are what sparked vegetarianism for me. Nothing is more motivation than seeing the truth.

People who care aren't good for the industries, so they keep the public blind just as long as they can... Property damage/theft of "property"(if you can call animals that) is considered terrorism. What a country

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

But this is their form of shutting people up. Now you could potentially do time in prison for trying to make public with the atrocities that go on behind slaughterhouse walls? I don't know about anyone else, but these videos are what sparked vegetarianism for me. Nothing is more motivation than seeing the truth.

People who care aren't good for the industries, so they keep the public blind just as long as they can... Property damage/theft of "property"(if you can call animals that) is considered terrorism. What a country
They're trying to shut people up, but good luck!

I'd be outraged if this bill actually passed somehow, but for now it seems like a fairly normal reaction douchebags have when the world finally starts to push back

Every big move for change has met with exactly the same resistance, people hate change. Even poor Galileo almost got burned to death for daring to suggest the Earth revolves around the Sun but now it's accepted as common knowledge. At one point the idea that black people could share the same water fountain with white people was met with outrage and disgust, and that's just ridiculous to think about these days. Give it time, ignorance always loses in the end.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:

They're trying to shut people up, but good luck!

I'd be outraged if this bill actually passed somehow, but for now it seems like a fairly normal reaction douchebags have when the world finally starts to push back

Every big move for change has met with exactly the same resistance, people hate change. Even poor Galileo almost got burned to death for daring to suggest the Earth revolves around the Sun but now it's accepted as common knowledge. At one point the idea that black people could share the same water fountain with white people was met with outrage and disgust, and that's just ridiculous to think about these days. Give it time, ignorance always loses in the end.
Yeah... Probably wont see it over my lifetime though
You don't go from 10 000 000 000+ animals a year(US) to global veganism over night. I like seeing the new members, and the media attention that we're getting, but on the other side you've got equally opposing forces working against us. "How can we produce meat cheaper, how about mixing cement in with the feed? How about reducing the size of living space? More anti-biotics and growth hormones. We don't need the males, kill them." They do whatever they can to make and save more money, and whenever they come up with a new idea, it's always at the animals' expense. Then we can protest all we want but it doesn't seem to change much

This bill might not pass. But alot of people would have said that years ago with the terrorist act. As long as there's enough rich people behind it, it'll probably go through. Golden rule, right? Those with the gold make the rules.

Not just the industries though. It costs money to treat animals humanely. I could just imagine how much bitching my parents would do if they had to spend $20 on humanely produced milk. So they're equally as much to blame I suppose. They're no more wanting to see change than the industries are

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:

Strangely enough I sort of see this as a positive thing. It shows how powerful activism can be, a bill like this wouldn't need to be written if undercover videos weren't a very effective way to change peoples minds about cruel farming practices. The people involved know what they're doing is inhumane and would upset any decent person, why else go to all the trouble to try to hide it? They've seen the public outcry that occurs and the 'damage' it can do to the way they do business.

Besides, this bill was just submitted it isn't like there's any danger of it passing. People submit crazy bills all the time that never have a chance of going through, the most recent example that comes to mind is that guy who wanted to have Uterus Police to investigate miscarriages.
Good points.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I don't know to say, seriously. The US scare me sometimes.

OTOH, I do think it shows that the industries really are afraid of people knowing the truth. That's good, I suppose.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

The US scare me sometimes.
This, especially since I live here. It's horrifying to me that this bill, the miscarriage bill in Georgia, the union busting bill in Wisconsin, the title X abortion prohibition act and others like them are even under discussion and up for vote.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
This means that the conditions on factory farm have been raised to a conscious level in America's collective consciousness an industry workers are thus taking steps to minimize coverage. I hope people investigate anyways if this passes. They usually don't get caught anyways, and they wouldn't need to release their names.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

This means that the conditions on factory farm have been raised to a conscious level in America's collective consciousness an industry workers are thus taking steps to minimize coverage. I hope people investigate anyways if this passes. They usually don't get caught anyways, and they wouldn't need to release their names.
There are still people who would be willing to take the risk. Like with anything making undercover investigation illegal won't stop it it will just push it further underground.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:

There are still people who would be willing to take the risk. Like with anything making undercover investigation illegal won't stop it it will just push it further underground.
Yeah, it's all about maintaining a careful balance, for law makers and enforcers, I mean. If they make laws too repressive, or the consequences of law breaking too severe, then you risk having civil disobedience to deal with. The people won't put up with too much intrusion into their lives and freedom. However, unjust laws, if they don't affect too many people too negatively (in most people's opinions, I mean), will generally be tolerated. In this way, by making gradual changes, the government and big corporations can end up setting a timeline for enacting the more repressive laws.

So, basically, if you want to get to a point where you can, say, put people in jail for life for AR "terrorism", you don't aim to get those laws passed right off the bat. Maybe it's 5 years first, then more. Pair that with efforts at changing public perception, for instance by getting people to think of the ALF as terrorists, rather than just criminals. Gradually change public perception, gradually change laws, and in 30 years maybe you're at the point where the public willingly accepts that of course AR activists should be tortured and put in prison for life for their terrorism.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
It should be noted that the ALF got more militant after the first Animal Enterprise Protection Act was passed. Before AEPA was passed, the ALF was mainly about removing animals and filming conditions. Afterward, they started gravitating more toward the arson and property destruction.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's interesting. I've watched videos on YouTube on this subject, about how in the '80s, maybe '90s it used to be more about liberations and exposing conditions, as you say, and that it seems to have shifted more to (easier) actions like throwing bricks through windows, spray-painting the side of buildings, etc. Sometimes people acting under the ALF banner are actually primarily anarchists who see animal liberation as a secondary priority at best.

Do you know if things changed after the AEPA was changed to the AETA, peace? Did activists get more militant again, or this time has it put a damper on things? Most of the speakers I've heard on this say that the movement is growing and more actions are happening, despite less media coverage. The media is being instructed to not make a big deal about these events, as much as is possible.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:

People submit crazy bills all the time that never have a chance of going through, the most recent example that comes to mind is that guy who wanted to have Uterus Police to investigate miscarriages.
I had to look this guy up and wow, HE'S A NUT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts