VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flip side to the crummiest gift thread.

The guy who drew my name for the company Secret Santa gift exchange four years ago gave me a gift card from Barnes & Noble
and a box of Godiva chocolates.
I ran over to him and thanked him profusely and said "how did you know EXACTLY what I would like?" He swore he didn't, he just took a chance.

What gifts have you received that made you really happy, especially since you didn't ask for it?

·
Registered
174 Posts
One year when we didn't have very much money, I told my husband that I did not want anything for Christmas. In the middle of the night Christmas Eve, he woke up and went out to the garage and shaved off his mustache as a present to me (I hated that mustache, he loved it).

·
Registered
373 Posts
One time I was watching a rerun of All in the Family with my husband. It was the episode where Gloria brings home a replica of the stature The Kiss. Archie was offended by the erotic nature of the statue and banned it from his home.

I mentioned to my husband that I liked the statue and thought is was romantic. That Christmas my husband surprised me with a miniature replica of the statue.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
My mom got me cake decorating supplies and books one year, which much to her dissappointment made me want to be a professional baker, but they made me really happy.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have more then one best gift ever: I was in 5th grade and that year I got a pair of Rollerblades and a NES! WOOOOOO! that birthday rocked.

My more recent fave gift of all time is first the bracelet my boyfriend got me for our first Christmas together. It is absolutely stunning. Next year he got me a promise ring. He set it up so I opened a jewelry box with the rings description card in it, and he hid the ring in another box and waited for the what the heck to come out of my mouth before giving it to me. lol

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
On Christmas Eve night, 1984, I got pregnant! He was born exactly nine months later on 9/24/85.

·
Registered
240 Posts
On what was my moms last Christmas (though we didn't know at the time) she said she wanted to avoid gifts and just spend time with her daughters. So we hung out lots and bonded, and on Christmas morning all we got were gift certificates for a day at the spa together. That was pretty lovely.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
A couple of years back my now fiance sent a picture of our dog, who we thought was dying of cancer at the time, away to Thailand to a painter that he knew through a guy he knew. The dude had never painted animals, only people, but he painted my Tali. He sent it back and my fiance had it framed and gave it to me. As you can imagine all I could do with that was cry. It looked just like her. Best present I ever got.

Oh, and Tali's still alive today. She got over the cancer but is now dealing with arthritis.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Best Xmas present I ever got was a book. It was obviously used and probably didn't cost much, but it was the diary of my favorite author. As far as I could remember I hadn't mentioned my favorite author to my friend in years, but she remembered.

Best bday present I ever got - I told my husband I wanted to go to the top of Pike's Peak (Colorado) on the train and then come back down and go out to eat at my favorite restaurant and no presents that you have to wrap. And that's exactly what we did.

Another good one and nothing to wrap - I was about 10 years old and for my present, my parents took me, and my cousins, and a bunch of my friends to Disney World.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
For my birthday last year, I didn't really want to ask for anything specific. So instead, I told people "you don't have to bring a gift" and if they insisted that they bring a gift, I told them "fine, just find something that reminds you of me, or something that you think I would like." I think that it made it a bit of a challange that most people didn't want, but the results were interesting and fun. The best gift that I got was a spiritual journal to keep all of my thoughts/notes in. It was awsome because I had gotten baptised on my birthday, and the party was the same day, so the first entry is about my baptisom. I havn't been keeping up with it well lately, but I use to use it all the time. I really liked that gift!

(Not that it was love at first sight, I did a sighlent groan when I first saw what it was, and faked a "thank you")

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
A working kidney.

Nah, I'm just kidding. The best Christmas gifts are usually the one's I tell the gift giver to get me. Like a beard and mustache trimmer or a solid wood toilet seat.

~Wondre

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have received a lot of nice presents, but something that I'll always remember is a journal my mom bought for me to write my poetry/thoughts in. On the front cover she wrote a very touching and personal message that made me cry. I believe that the best presents are those that require thought, and personal touches.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
The best gifts are ones that show a person's been paying attention to you and your needs and wants. For example, one year I got a knife block and a nice wire wisk. It was partly due to the fact that this person was annoyed that I didn't have these things, but that doesn't erase the fact that I really did need them and was excited to get them. Plus, knowing that the person actually put some thought into it is like a bonus.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
This wasn't a Christmas gift, but for my graduation my dad wrote me a poem about watching me grow up. We don't really share feelings in my house, so it made me cry to finally hear about his emotions. And to top it off, he never reads or writes, and it was a really good poem (I'm the writer in the house, and it was just shocking to know my dad could do that).

I asked a family friend to write it in calligraphy so I could hang it at my open house (she owed us a favor for helping at her daughter's open house), and she showed up at my door one day with the poem written out and framed as her graduation gift to me. It was an all-around amazing present.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I don't remember how old I was, but one year I got a record player (it was one of those plastic ones black and white with the clear top) and the Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" album. I had wanted a record player, but I didn't expect it at all, and I was so surprised Christmas morning when it was under the tree with a bow on it. It also made me feel so grown up too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.