VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to make my own bean burgers but they tend to fall apart, and when I try pan-frying them they end up burned outside and uncooked inside (and still falling apart). I've added a lot of wholemeal flour already so I'm wondering what would make the burgers stick together and cook through without burning the outside? I don't really have an oven so is there any way to achieve this with just using a pan? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
it's all in the recipe really,and I don't really have an answer for you. When you say whole meal, what does that mean? I have much better luck when the recipe calls for wheat gluten. Some recipes call for dried bread crumbs, but you need to have something as a binder to keep them all together. Eggs are usually used in vegetarian patties, so either mashed beans with bread crumbs or the gluten is usually what does it in vegan recipes.

also, if you use a really wide spatula for turning, like for pancakes, that can help keep them from falling apart when you flip them.

Also if your's are burning on the outside before cooking on the inside, your pan is too hot, so just turn down the temp. Do you have a really good heavy fry pan that isn't flimsey? That helps too.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I prefer oatmeal to breadcrumbs. Used similarly, mashed with beans or prepared so it gets all goopy. I don't do much burger type stuff, though, and am all too familiar with the disintegration phenomenon when I do give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you are talking about vegan burgers, I always use gram(chickpea) flour to stick things together. It works very well for binding and it's always what I use in place of an egg when eggs are needed for binding (about 1 heaped desert spoon per egg I tend to use, and then add more if it looks like it needs it).

As for cooking on the outside but not in the middle, how about making them thinner? With a stickier mixture that should be easier to do. If not, I'm not sure but if you turn the pan down (as mentioned above) should help also.

ETA: If you can't find gram flour, I have seen soya flour used in the same way in recipes but not tried it myself.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I use cornmeal in my recipe, which makes the burgers crispy on the outside. I also use egg replacer along with brown rice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.