VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do i do with it, aside putting it in smoothies? can i actually cook with it? or should i just give up on the taste factor and eat it straight? that's my dilemma...

·
Registered
0 Posts
i sprinkle it onto my oatmeal. you cant heat it too much if you are using it for the omega 3s bc it loses them in the process or something.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You're definately not supposed to cook with the oil. But, from what I understand it's OK to use ground flaxseed in baked items. I'm not 100% sure about this but almost all the information I've read about this, on the Internet, said it's OK. It's best to get them unground and grind them yourself.

Ground flaxseed is good in muffins. Here are some muffin recipes.

Banana/Flax Muffins (can be made with stevia but turns out better with sugar)

Raisin/Flax Muffins

Cinnamon/Flax Muffins (The calcium is essential; without it the muffins collapse. The pill might not be needed though if calcium-fortified soymilk is used)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I once made choc chip cookies using ground flax seed and they were beautiful, although i can't seem to locate the recipe (originally on net), does anyone else have a similar recipe?

·
Registered
0 Posts
You can use ground flaxseed in baking to replace eggs as a binder. just use oh, a tsp. or so to a little over 1/3 cup of water, heat it up until it starts to gel, and then cool it off a bit in the fridge, to replace one egg.

i usually just add it dry to just about anything i bake. it has a really good taste.

My daughter mixes a tsp. of it every morning into her orange juice and drinks it down.

also Epinephrine, to solve all those bananas going bad in your fridge, toss them into the freezer, skin and all, for the next time you make smoothies. they will keep in there for quite a while, and the skin acts like a wrapper. i just run a little hot water over them when i need to use them, to help get the skins off.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This may be weird, but I put fresh ground flax on my spanish rice or over my burritos. I also eat it with my cereal in the morning. I kind of like the taste.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts